Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

cw88
Helper III
Helper III

Capacity settings - send notifications not working with external users

Hello, 

i want to configure a notification to an external contact. I can choose the external user under "these contacts" and save is also possible. Bit after saving the user disappears from the field.

cw88_0-1724229466029.png

Is there a limitation or a bug?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cw88 ,

Thanks for the reply from cwlu88 .

After adding an external user and applying it the user disappears which is really disturbing and I can not reproduce your error.

vhuijieymsft_0-1724655858029.png

vhuijieymsft_1-1724655858031.png

I have a few suggestions:

1. Is this the first time you've gotten this error, and have you been able to add external users before? If not, please check what you have done.

2. Try sharing something else with the external user, for example share the semantic model, and check if it works correctly?

3. Make sure the external users have the necessary permissions. They should be added as Guest User in Azure Active Directory.

4. Check if external sharing is enabled in Admin Portal.

vhuijieymsft_2-1724655872131.png

5. Try clearing your browser cache or using a different browser to see if the problem persists.

More information about using Microsoft Entra B2B to share content to external guest users can be found in this article:

Distribute content to external guest users with Microsoft Entra B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cw88 ,

Thanks for the reply from cwlu88 .

After adding an external user and applying it the user disappears which is really disturbing and I can not reproduce your error.

vhuijieymsft_0-1724655858029.png

vhuijieymsft_1-1724655858031.png

I have a few suggestions:

1. Is this the first time you've gotten this error, and have you been able to add external users before? If not, please check what you have done.

2. Try sharing something else with the external user, for example share the semantic model, and check if it works correctly?

3. Make sure the external users have the necessary permissions. They should be added as Guest User in Azure Active Directory.

4. Check if external sharing is enabled in Admin Portal.

vhuijieymsft_2-1724655872131.png

5. Try clearing your browser cache or using a different browser to see if the problem persists.

More information about using Microsoft Entra B2B to share content to external guest users can be found in this article:

Distribute content to external guest users with Microsoft Entra B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

@v-huijiey-msft thanks for your suggestions! Using different browser Chrome instead of MS Edge solves the problem 🙂

cwlu88
Frequent Visitor

The external user is B2B (#EXT#@...onmicrosoft.com). 

The problem is:

1. Select B2B user in the box below of "These contacts"

2. Click apply

3.  After clicking "apply", the selected user disappears in the box below of "These contacts"

So it is not possible to add an external user... 

v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cw88 ,

This is the limitation mentioned in the official documentation Configure Power BI Premium capacity notifications - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn:

vhuijieymsft_0-1724315550833.png

First, after sending a notification, no new notifications will be sent for three hours, even if the capacity exceeds the threshold set to trigger these notifications.

Second, are the external users you mention B2B users? The email address has a "#EXT#@contoso.onmicrosoft.com" suffix, so please use that account to check your email and make sure there are no possible interceptions.

Finally, if the external user you mentioned is using a third-party email address, such as Gmail and Yahoo, It is recommended to log back in to test and ensure that notification emails are not filtered into the Spam or Junk folders of external users' email accounts.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

AugFabric_Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - August 2024

Check out the August 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

August Carousel

Fabric Community Update - August 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.