Real world experiences with the Pixel 8a?

Papageno

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor
Hi all, I read the Ars review and the comments but the last one there is from May. Surprised there's no discussion here about the mid-range Pixel. I'd be coming from the 5a (the last one with a headphone jack--and I like a wired option in certain situations so I guess I'll have to get an adapter), and I had a 3aXL before that one.

Would love to hear of any experiences anyone here has had with it.

whoisit

Subscriptor
I went from a Pixel 6 to a Pixel 8. The biggest difference in daily use for me is the fingerprint sensor. On the 6, it was really picky/finicky. On the 8, it just works, when I have to use it. The biometric camera unlock works even better than the fingerprint sensor.

The camera also works better on the 8. Colors are better, and the app is faster when taking pictures. It always felt like there was a delay with the 6.

Bluetooth has worked well with all the devices I've used with it. Google Buds Pro, JVC earbuds, my desktop PC, and various other speakers. Android Auto works great with my car, but at this point it seems like the cars implementation has a lot to do with that.

The 8 is a little smaller than the 6. Width and depth seem the same, it's not as tall. Battery life is slightly better, I can get about a day and half from a full charge. Quick charging takes about 2 hours. Slower charging can take all night with adaptive charging enabled.

I'm not the biggest power user, so I don't know what else I can add.

Papageno

Subscriptor
I went from a Pixel 6 to a Pixel 8. The biggest difference in daily use for me is the fingerprint sensor. On the 6, it was really picky/finicky. On the 8, it just works, when I have to use it. The biometric camera unlock works even better than the fingerprint sensor.

The camera also works better on the 8. Colors are better, and the app is faster when taking pictures. It always felt like there was a delay with the 6.

Bluetooth has worked well with all the devices I've used with it. Google Buds Pro, JVC earbuds, my desktop PC, and various other speakers. Android Auto works great with my car, but at this point it seems like the cars implementation has a lot to do with that.

The 8 is a little smaller than the 6. Width and depth seem the same, it's not as tall. Battery life is slightly better, I can get about a day and half from a full charge. Quick charging takes about 2 hours. Slower charging can take all night with adaptive charging enabled.

I'm not the biggest power user, so I don't know what else I can add.

Thanks. The fingerprint reader isn't on the back anymore, is it? Why on Earth would they mess with something like that? My 5a's fingerprint reader works great, unless my finger is wet, of course, but I suppose that applies with any such reader.

Pixel 8 (no a) is $549 on Amazon right now. The 8 has a more durable glass front, a slightly larger screen, a glass back rather than plastic (which I actually count as a downside personally), faster charging, little bit better water resistance, and a somewhat larger battery. So you do get some stuff for $100 over the $449 8a, whether it's worthwhile is up to you.

Honestly if it was me, I wanted to go Android, and I was looking to save money but still get a flagship-like experience, I'd probably pick up an international (no warranty) Samsung Galaxy S23 FE for $490 on Amazon right now, or maybe even a Galaxy S23 (non-FE) refurb for $393.

There's also the Nothing Phone 2a for $400; not a flagship experience exactly but it's a pretty neat device.

Papageno

Subscriptor
What is the software update situation for those non pixel options?

What I like about Pixel phones is the prompt, dependable software updates. My first ever smart phone was the Moto 5G+ I think that was the name, anyway. It promised only two years of support and one Android OS upgrade, and they took their sweet time getting them to you. Now that there's going to be 7 years of software support starting at launch vs. the previous 3 (which in the case of my 5a runs out next month), I'm pretty tempted.

@rodalpho A glass back isn't really a selling point for me because I always put a Spigen case around my phones. I've handled other people's glass back phones and think it's nuts to trust myself to handle something that expensive that is also slippery without dropping it.

BTW, question for anyone, what's a good 3.5 mm headphone jack to USB C adapter for use with Pixel phones? If I'm out and about I'm using AirPods, but I have some old EarPods that I'll use if watching something on my phone in bed sometimes.

Last edited:

Papageno

Subscriptor
Yes I said I count that as a downside. Plastic is lighter and I use a case anyway.

Samsung guarantees 7 years of OS updates for the S23 and newer. Same as Google I believe.

There’s also the oneplus 12R, which is a lot of phone for $500, unbeatable really, but it only gets 3 years.

Ah, I misunderstood then about glass back vs plastic from the way it was worded. My bad.

The thing with going third party is waiting + bloat. I really like the stock Android experience.

Andrewcw

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
You'll hate the finger print sensor. I bought a 5A instead of a 6A back in the day. I also have a 6A sitting next to me because my old 3A fingerprint sensor died and at the time there was a $300 rebate on trade in for a 6A so i figure for $100 i might as well have a spare. But i hated it so badly because of the reader. And for the most part there hasn't been any improvement to it when it was released for the 6.

IF you have a 5A that is over 2 years old. You are living on borrowed time. Seriously. I had my 5A replaced 3 years after i bought it. Because it had a 1 year warranty. Then i came to find out there is a flaw with the 5A where it will self destruct a part and they extended a warranty and extra 2 years. So they gave me a brand new 5A old stock, some people got 6A's as replacements. https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/11833075?hl=en I don't think they fixed the problem. They just kicked the can down the road in my case.

Andrewcw

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
I'm not too concerned about the security patches. Most of my apps are official apps and when it comes to script kiddie. It generally is through apps that have advertisement as their income stream.

I'd be more concerned with the Phone death. As i've experienced it once already. I go to plug it in to recharge one night. Pick it up hit the power button. And then nothing happens. While on vacation. So i had to wake up the next morning and run to a store to buy the cheapest crappiest phone i could buy to get home. Despite most things being backed up. Setting and things aren't saved for everything. It's not like you have your old phone with you when you transfer to a new one where you can go back and check to see what was slightly different that's throwing you off.

Paladin

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
In case it makes a difference, the Pixel 9 seems to have heat issues under extended heavy use (more than several minutes of high use):

I'm not sure how many people use their phones in that kind of pattern (or how other phones fare under those usage patterns) and it seems the 8 series also had throttling issues under load, though they were improved with updated software a while back.

Paladin

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
I've not seen these throttling issues on the Pixel 8, and I tend to run Google Maps with a Teams Video Call, with Android Auto on the dash in the sun. I've gotten a bunch of heat warnings, but no noticeable throttling.
Yeah, I am guessing they are mostly the kind of thing reviewers find when doing benchmarks mostly, maybe on intense gaming or something.

Andrewcw

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
Any more thoughts on this? I'm still thinking about it.
Skip the 8a and go straight 9 or wait until the 9a gets released to find out if it also has an ultrasonic fingerprint scanner. If you're willing to take the risk on the 5A surviving that long. Heat and throttling issues are one thing. But not being able to unlock as consistent as you were used to is something you'll run into way more.

Reactions: Papageno

Papageno

Subscriptor
Let us know how you like it after you get it-- am especially curious how battery life is after say the first two weeks or so?
Sure will. I almost never charge with the quick charger (the chonky ones that I got with my 5a5G and 3aXL before that), but use a slower charger, which helps extend the battery life.
This will be my first phone with wireless charging but the only thing I have for that is part of my car.
We'll see how it goes. I really do hope that the frame is sturdy and survives the occasional fall with a good protective case.

Reactions: continuum

Papageno

Subscriptor
Well, so far the only weird issue I've run into with my 8a is that the same video that plays fine over my network (using Plex "Big Boy" version) both on my Windows 11 PC AND my old Pixel 5a with 5G stubbornly refuses to play on my new Pixel 8a, whether streamed over my WiFi network or even downloaded. Obviously I'm not going to give out particulars here as to the title etc. but super bizarre. I'm thinking that's a Pixel 8a and not a Plex issue, right?
Could it have to do with the change in refresh rate of the 8a's screen vs the 5a w/5G's?

Reactions: continuum

Papageno

Subscriptor
I'd have to defer that to someone who knows about Plex....?

I guess my point is that it's the same Android client of Plex on both my old Pixel 5a w/5G and on my new 8a*, so why should the behavior be any different? The next step would be to see if downloading the file directly to my new phone (not as a Plex download, which means only the Plex client can see it) to take Plex out of the picture and seeing if the Android version of VLC Media Player can handle it.

*and they're both running the same version of (stock) Android with the latest security updates (Sept. 5th, 2024).

Papageno

Subscriptor
I'd suspect something about codec licensing or software versions, so your idea take Plex out of the picture makes sense.

The weird part, though, is that in the final analysis, the only differences are in the the hardware involved between the two phones--the SOC, the GPU and such (can't remember if the GPU is normally considered part of the SOC). I checked today and the Plex clients were both updated three days ago with the main patch note the same etc. (it occurred to me that maybe one was running an older client and the other a newer one).

Before I do the direct d/l of the file to the new phone I'm going to do the Roy Trennerman thing from The IT Crowd and "turn it off and on again." I've found that that often clears up baffling phone issues.

Aaaand that didn't fix it either. Bizarre. I'll report on whether it just doesn't like the directly downloaded file either.

Last edited:

Papageno

Subscriptor
Update: it plays the directly downloaded file (and others that wouldn't play in the Plex client on the 8a) just fine using VLC on Android. It's a Plex problem with that phone's hardware--specifically with the HVEC x265 1.8 Mbps1080p version for some reason. I created an "optimized for mobile" 3Mbps 720p version and it streamed fine in Plex, go figure.

BTW I posted on the Plex user forums with all the gory details. It might have something to do with the Android client not liking the audio codec in conjunction with that phone's hardeware: I did notice that the theme music wasn’t kicking in as soon as I opened the episode page but before I hit the play button.

Last edited:

Papageno

Subscriptor
In case it happens to someone else it's due to the Android Plex client having a problem with the EAC3 w/Atmos encoding, supported on newer phones, but in the current Plex client not so much--a workaround is to uncheck EAC3 under Player: Optional Audio Support--going to see if someone has already mentioned it in the Plex thread:

1728424202006.png