AMD Driver Update Issues

Struxxffs

Ars Centurion
Subscriptor
I am on windows 11, and always create a second standard user account with non admin privileges on a fresh install before installing any drivers.

When installing the drivers originally everything was working okay.

After updating the amd drivers using the adrenaline software on a admin account, amd adrenaline would not automatically run when logging into a standard account and disappeared from the startup options for the standard account.

After uninstalling the drivers, downloading the newest auto installer from amd's website and reinstalling the drivers on the admin account, amd adrenaline will now start up on the standard user account. It takes more then a minute to load, still does not show up in the start section of task manager, and performance gaming wise has been worse.

I'm curious what exactly causes this issue to happen. Should the drivers have been updated from the standard user account instead?

UAC and all other windows settings are left default from install.

Not using any after market antivirus.

Operating system: Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Card: MSI 6700XT OC 12gb Edition
Motherboard: Gigabyte x570s Aorus Master
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Bios Reversion: F7
Nvme SSd: Samsung 980 pro 2tb

IceStorm

Ars Legatus Legionis
Do not use AMD's auto installer or their in-driver update system. Just download the full driver package from the website and install it right over top of the existing drivers.

Updating the drivers, from within the drivers, is just pants-on-head stupid and has never worked properly for me, across multiple AMD cards, since they started trying to do auto-updates in-driver. The reject software engineer from AMD that went to Intel tried to implement the same stupidity in Arc's drivers, but they're thwarted by Intel's truly awful CDN implementation that the drivers cannot reach most of the time.

Last edited:

Struxxffs

Ars Centurion
Subscriptor
Do not use AMD's auto installer or their in-driver update system. Just download the full driver package from the website and install it right over top of the existing drivers.

Updating the drivers, from within the drivers, is just pants-on-head stupid and has never worked properly for me, across multiple AMD cards, since they started trying to do auto-updates in-driver. The reject software engineer from AMD that went to Intel tried to implement the same stupidity in Arc's drivers, but they're thwarted by Intel's truly awful CDN implementation that the drivers cannot reach most of the time.

Thank you, I will uninstall the current drivers and use the manual downloads from now a concern is that AMD FreeSync will not work without with AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition and Adrenalin can not be installed without using its drivers.