Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ssdn108
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Aman Nangia

Minor question on cloud machines (Native Azure Win VMs Workload backup)

Post by ssdn108 »

Hello Team.

Do Cloud machines (aka Azure VMs workload) MUST need a protection group created in VBR as 'cloud machines' for them to be backed up as agents based backup locally to Azure blob? Or can i back them up w/o creating a protection group as in manually locally to Azure blob directly? You would think i could as it's normal but per docs, looks like i need to create a group for them. Cloud machines backup is slightly different than regular agent based backups as it's done by a cloud-service thru api's. So, If i have to create 'cloud machines' protec'on group , then i have to create a dedicated distribution repository also in azure to house agent files, etc. which gets pushed out to cloud machine. So, second question is: what should be the size of this 'distribution repo'? I am sure it's less but there is nothing documented. Actually, it's in Azure, so i guess it should not ask me during its configuration, right?

Thx
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 435 times

Re: Minor question on cloud machines (Native Azure Win VMs Workload backup)

Post by david.domask »

Hi Aman,

It's not a _requirement_, but it simplifies a lot of planning and design as Veeam Agent for Windows/Linux have some specific requirements for the connection.

If VBR is in Azure also and in the same network, then no issue, but if VBR is outside of the network the the agents reside in, then you will need a VPN for the connection(s) to make it.

The Distribution Server/Repository should be created as per this User Guide page, and it should not be a resource intensive server in most cases as the distribution is done in batches to avoid overloading the server.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
ssdn108
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Aman Nangia

Post by ssdn108 »

Thx David. My VBR is an on-prem Hyper-V VM. I will create distribution repo in a new azure blob repo. This is specifically for backing up cloud machines (Azure VMs) to Azure Blob repo. Question: i don't need distribution server to back up cloud machines, right? Bcz my distribution repo will automatically act as distribution server i think in this scenario. Thx
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 435 times

Post by david.domask » 1 person likes this post

Hi Aman,

You're very welcome, and indeed should work fine with such a setup. The infrastructure for protecting Cloud Machines with agents is described here and explains what needs to be done and each step of the process.

The "Setup of Veeam Components" section walks you through what is necessary and how this feature works, so start with that and let us know if there are further questions on the process.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst