Wear OS will soon be at 50 percent of Apple Watch sales

Post content hidden for low score. Show…

OrangeCream

Ars Legatus Legionis
i was a wearOS early adopter and suffered through several (watch) generations worth of horrible qualcomm tech before bailing and switching to apple. here's hoping that this time around google does better
I don't know why anyone would ever expect that. I'm amazed at their Pixel line, not because it's an amazing phone, but because they've released phones now for 9 continuous years without breaks or rebooting the product. You can argue that the 2018 model, with the move from LG -> Foxconn, and the 2021 model, with the switch from Qualcomm to Tensor, are soft reboots, but given that the branding and features have more or less been continuous feels like a huge improvement in how Google's consumer products are handled.

So the hope is that their watches now will be similar; an updated Pixel Watch in 2022, then Watch 2 in 2023, and a Watch 3 in 2024 would be a good sign.

Upvote
30 (31 / -1)

EBone

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor
I'm an iPhone user who wants the following feature combination in a smartwatch:
1. Watch OS (and supporting apps) that respect that my data only belongs to me. This tends to rule out WearOS and chinese brands/mfgs.
2. Watch battery that lasts a week or longer per charge. This rules out most/all Apple watches.
3. Watch has annual depreciation of $50 or less. This rules out most Garmin watches.
Would you like a magical pony as well?

Upvote
125 (128 / -3)
Post content hidden for low score. Show…
1. Watch OS (and supporting apps) that respect that my data only belongs to me. This tends to rule out WearOS and chinese brands/mfgs.
2. Watch battery that lasts a week or longer per charge. This rules out most/all Apple watches.
3. Watch has annual depreciation of $50 or less. This rules out most Garmin watches.
Multiple examples of fenix 5x are available on eBay for the $180 range and it is a 2017 watch. Bought new in 2017 that would easily fit under your $50/yr requirement.

Upvote
21 (21 / 0)

Toastr

Ars Tribunus Militum
Sounds like you oughta just buy a regular old wristwatch and call it a day. Maybe pick up a used mechanical watch if you're serious about "annual depreciation".

Upvote
72 (76 / -4)

50me12

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
I’m an Apple Watch user but I have to say that I do like the styles. I prefer the shape of the Apple Watch from a readability standpoint, but it’s refreshing to see something else out there in the market.
The watch style is such a wild "usability" vs "fashion" balancing act.

A nice round face can have so much style.

But as a smartwatch ... it's also hard to make do a lot of things.

Upvote
19 (20 / -1)

TimeWinder

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor
Yeah. I want that, too. Plus, it should add $1000 a week to my bank account automatically. I'm willing to wait a couple years for the "and makes me more physically attractive" feature, though.

I suspect that WearOS will grow. Apple Watch mainly grows as users talk to other users. Android users couldn’t get an Apple Watch, but know friends who have and use one. There’s a lot of demand for an Android equivalent.
Nearly every time I pay for something with my Apple Watch (almost everything brick-and-mortar now that Apple Pay has become ubiquitous post-pandemic), the sales person either says "I didn't know you could do that with an Apple Watch" or "I need to set mine up to do that." (Or sometimes, "I don't use that because it allows anyone to steal my credit card number by walking by." I sometimes tell them about the chip in their physical credit cards, which actually can do that (although they're getting more secure these days, too)).

So they're popular, but there seems to be a breakdown in feature messaging, still.

Upvote
38 (42 / -4)

50me12

I think you ruled out all smart watches ;)

Upvote
35 (35 / 0)

50me12

Yeah. I want that, too. Plus, it should add $1000 a week to my bank account automatically. I'm willing to wait a couple years for the "and makes me more physically attractive" feature, though.

Nearly every time I pay for something with my Apple Watch (almost everything brick-and-mortar now that Apple Pay has become ubiquitous post-pandemic), the sales person either says "I didn't know you could do that with an Apple Watch" or "I need to set mine up to do that." (Or sometimes, "I don't use that because it allows anyone to steal my credit card number by walking by." I sometimes tell them about the chip in their physical credit cards, which actually can do that (although they're getting more secure these days, too)).

So they're popular, but there seems to be a breakdown in feature messaging, still.
I get the same "you can do that?!?!?" a lot too.

And here I thought I was late to the game, and also amazing, to me that's one of the big features of having a smart watch, no wallet needed many places.

Upvote
19 (19 / 0)

ergonomicBagel

Smack-Fu Master, in training
Subscriptor
Other than depreciation this list aligns pretty well with my preferences.

I just got rid of it but in hindsight I should have tested out my Garmin’s USB > PC syncing. They let you disable the cloud/online syncing functions but I feel it takes more functions than it should with it but if the PC program compensates that wouldn’t have been bad at all.

For now I’m going watch-less and found an app to track bike rides with but I haven’t decided what’s next yet. (I’m not intense enough to go get a dedicated bicycle computer at this time)

Still missing my Pebble that fit the first couple points. Funnily enough, I wonder if a Pebble today would meet the depreciation requirement since I imagine they’ve hit a value floor.

Upvote
-4 (2 / -6)
I'm suspicious of this report. When iPod/iPhone/iPad were new, there were plenty reports describing how Apple was going to fail, supported by imaginary future market share figures which usually included a large segment of "Other".

Also, the funding of this report is opaque. Counterpoint Research is an agency for hire. They are paid by industry players to write press releases disguised as market research.

Upvote
26 (28 / -2)

OrangeCream

Ars Legatus Legionis
At 9 p.m. Thursday, when the 60-hour period was up, the Apple Watch Ultra still had 56% battery remaining. Used minimally in Low Power Mode like this, it’s realistic the Apple Watch Ultra could continue on and reach 120 hours of use on a single charge, even with another hour’s worth of workouts. That’s five days.

The secret is evidently doing nothing. In other words, the more your watch does, the lower the battery life. If you get an Ultra and use low power mode you can at least approach a week.

Upvote
26 (26 / 0)

Questar

Ars Scholae Palatinae

And yet Home Depot still doesn't accept Apple Pay. So freaking annoying.

Upvote
21 (23 / -2)
I had an Apple Watch and consistently forgot to even charge or wear it after the novelty of the first few months wore off. I finally just gave up and bought a cheap-o Casio so I can at least get time looking at my wrist instead of pulling my phone out.
Right there with you. There are DOZENS of us!

Upvote
10 (11 / -1)

Heavens

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
Subscriptor
At 9 p.m. Thursday, when the 60-hour period was up, the Apple Watch Ultra still had 56% battery remaining. Used minimally in Low Power Mode like this, it’s realistic the Apple Watch Ultra could continue on and reach 120 hours of use on a single charge, even with another hour’s worth of workouts. That’s five days.

The secret is evidently doing nothing. In other words, the more your watch does, the lower the battery life. If you get an Ultra and use low power mode you can at least approach a week.
Battery life is the reason I went with Suunto a couple years back.
Suunto 9 Peak, with 24/7 heart rate monitoring and notifications (WhatsApp, Outlook at work and 3CX company phone) for 6 days now sitting at 65%.

I can squeeze out up to 14 days if I don't do any GPS things.

High accuracy mode for navigation lasts longer than I do on a mountain bike and you get up to 72h in low accuracy GPS tracking.

Even has a titanium case and sapphire glass for around 500$ (newer models are a bit more expensive).

Edit: a little offtopic as it's not WearOS if I remember correctly.

Upvote
5 (8 / -3)

TimeWinder

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor
I think "How does Home Depot manage to be so incredibly successful despite so many ways of showing they hate their customers?" could be a thread in itself. Comcast and used car dealers could take notes.

It really has been a sea change. In 2019, maybe one store in twenty would support Apple Pay, and about the same number would support "Android Pay" but not Apple Pay. Android Pay wasn't really a thing (Google and Samsung each had their own clumsy QR-code-based systems), but the owners never knew which actual manufacturer's system they provided, not that it worked anyway. Whoever had sold them the system told them that Android users outnumbered Apple users, and they didn't need to support Apple Pay. And even those who had Apple Pay couldn't get it to work much of the time.

Five years later? Even the little mom-and-pop stores all support it. Food trucks all support it. Many of the contractors that work on my house take it. Web sites seem to be the last holdouts, but even half of them seem to allow it now. Apple Pay makes up something like 5% of all global card transactions (probably more, that number is from 2021).

Upvote
17 (19 / -2)

ERIFNOMI

Subscriptor++
I think "How does Home Depot manage to be so incredibly successful despite so many ways of showing they hate their customers?" could be a thread in itself. Comcast and used car dealers could take notes.

It really has been a sea change. In 2019, maybe one store in twenty would support Apple Pay, and about the same number would support "Android Pay" but not Apple Pay. Android Pay wasn't really a thing (Google and Samsung each had their own clumsy QR-code-based systems), but the owners never knew which actual manufacturer's system they provided, not that it worked anyway. Whoever had sold them the system told them that Android users outnumbered Apple users, and they didn't need to support Apple Pay. And even those who had Apple Pay couldn't get it to work much of the time.

Five years later? Even the little mom-and-pop stores all support it. Food trucks all support it. Many of the contractors that work on my house take it. Web sites seem to be the last holdouts, but even half of them seem to allow it now. Apple Pay makes up something like 5% of all global card transactions (probably more, that number is from 2021).
Are you saying Google Wallet in 2019 used QR codes? Or is this a weird Home Depot thing? Because Google Wallet in 2019 absolutely did NFC, as did Android Pay before that.

Upvote
15 (16 / -1)

Granadico

Ars Scholae Palatinae

People complain about Fitbits not lasting a long time but i got a years old model and only sync it to my phone for workouts and just treat it as a watch/pedometer and it lasts like a week and a half. It's sounds stupid but it's good advice if you don't care about all the features.

Upvote
1 (1 / 0)

sbradford26

Ars Scholae Palatinae

The big 3 retailers who I am blown away that don't support apple pay/google pay (At least around me) are Home Depot, Lowes, and the biggest surprise Walmart.

Upvote
16 (16 / 0)

Coriolanus

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
I am pretty sure the only watches that meets your criteria are luxury analog watches.

They have no data (except for the time, I guess), their batteries last for a long time, and they don't depreciate that fast (on the account that they are generally luxury goods with limited runs).

Upvote
8 (8 / 0)

rmohns

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor
I'm suspicious of this report. When iPod/iPhone/iPad were new, there were plenty reports describing how Apple was going to fail, supported by imaginary future market share figures which usually included a large segment of "Other".

Also, the funding of this report is opaque. Counterpoint Research is an agency for hire. They are paid by industry players to write press releases disguised as market research.
This. The lead analyst for smart watches at Counterpoint is based out of South Korea, and Samsung and LG are subjects of glowing reports by CP:

I wouldn’t claim CP’s research and data are false, but consider the source. Like Gartner and Forrester -- they can be sincere, honest, and have genuinely valuable research, but still be biased in favor of their clients.

Last edited:
Upvote
14 (14 / 0)

Toastr

Ars Tribunus Militum
I'm always surprised by how behind Home Depot has been at adopting more secure payment methods--as I recall they were one of the last big stores near me to finally get around to installing chip readers too. You'd think they'd be all over it, given that they had a massive payment data breach a decade ago that they reckon cost them $198 million.

Upvote
9 (10 / -1)

rmohns

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor
The big 3 retailers who I am blown away that don't support apple pay/google pay (At least around me) are Home Depot, Lowes, and the biggest surprise Walmart.
Walmart has been trying to build a CurrentC-like competitor called Walmart Pay. I imagine they don’t see any reason to enable a competitor and pay the extra fraction of a percent.

Lowes reportedly accepts ApplePay now, but I haven’t tried. Home Depot probably doesn’t feel much pressure, since it pushes its small business revolving credit accounts hard in store, and HD branded consumer cards.

Upvote
6 (6 / 0)

OrangeCream

Ars Legatus Legionis
I can squeeze out up to 14 days if I don't do any GPS things.
I’m sure turning off the GPS, microphone, fall detection, WiFi, and raise to activate will stretch the 5 days even further too.

My point is unchanged. With the best GPS mode the Suunto 9 Peak only lasts 25 hours, not any different than an Apple Watch.

Upvote
5 (5 / 0)

OrangeCream

Ars Legatus Legionis
Walmart has been trying to build a CurrentC-like competitor called Walmart Pay. I imagine they don’t see any reason to enable a competitor and pay the extra fraction of a percent.
That died years ago:

Not that they’ve given up, they have Walmart Pay instead:

Upvote
2 (5 / -3)