The “Netflix of anime” piracy site abruptly shuts down, shocking users

caramelpolice

Ars Scholae Palatinae
"Intensifying global crackdown on anime piracy" just happens to coincide with Sony raising the walls of its growing monopoly on anime distribution, sales, and streaming.
Fuck 'em.
Even more painfully ironic when Crunchyroll started out as exactly one of these sorts of piracy sites.

Upvote
136 (139 / -3)

NameRedacted

Ars Praetorian
Subscriptor
Shocked? How is anyone shocked when I piracy site shuts down at this point?

Argue right or wrong for the actions, but this is how it’s been working for at least two decades now. Sign up for whatever the replacement is, and then sign up for the replacement for that.

I really don’t like the trend of articles quoting random commenters on Reddit/Twitter/Facebook/Ars and acting like it’s newsworthy: The shutting down of the site is newsworthy. Random people’s comments about being “shocked” by the inevitable is not newsworthy.

So ends my rant.

Upvote
272 (275 / -3)
Post content hidden for low score. Show…

Edgar Allan Esquire

Ars Tribunus Militum
Subscriptor
The delays are so bad that some studios are considering combating piracy by using AI to push out translated versions more quickly.
If I know anime fans, they love liberties with translation and poor jobs of it. Though I'll admit, Crunchyroll used some new service for adding captions to their dubs and thought the fact that they couldn't get a single proper noun right was intentional satire since I happened across it being added on a KonoSuba rewatch. "Megaman" charging explosions just seemed too on point... it was not.

Upvote
5 (20 / -15)
I wonder how many out-of-print or unlicensed titles that were only available through piracy are now completely gone, unwatchable without extremely expensive secondhand DVDs or tapes. Fullmetal Alchemist was one, I think.

There really needs to be a better way to preserve art than relying on corps and/or relying on pirates.

Upvote
85 (99 / -14)
Post content hidden for low score. Show…

Frodo Douchebaggins

Account Banned
Subscriptor
I wonder how many out-of-print or unlicensed titles that were only available through piracy are now completely gone, unwatchable without extremely expensive secondhand DVDs or tapes. Fullmetal Alchemist was one, I think.

There really needs to be a better way to preserve art than relying on corps and/or relying on pirates.

This is one thing where I have some sympathy: when people want to do the right thing and watch shit legally but it's not available. So annoying.

There's stuff I've wanted to revisit from my childhood that I can't even pirate because it's so forgotten by time 😂

Upvote
107 (110 / -3)

Wheels Of Confusion

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
This is one thing where I have some sympathy: when people want to do the right thing and watch shit legally but it's not available. So annoying.

There's stuff I've wanted to revisit from my childhood that I can't even pirate because it's so forgotten by time 😂
Cheer up, my friend. One day we'll get Fox's Peter Pan and the Pirates in glorious 4K, I'm sure of it!

Upvote
26 (29 / -3)
Ashley Belanger said:
For anime fans, the abrupt closure was disappointing, because it can be hard to access the hottest new anime titles, often experiencing delays as studios work to offer translations to various regions.
OH NO, they might have to wait weeks, if not months?!

Well, as it is, many shows are not even finished for broadcast and are only completed for disc release.

Ashley Belanger said:
The delays are so bad that some studios are considering combating piracy by using AI to push out translated versions more quickly.
As google translate would say, "so terrible."

Ashley Belanger said:
But fans fear this will only result in low-quality subtitles, CBR reported.
Not to worry. I'm certain that the AI will be well-versed in all the pop culture/video experience references needed to accurately translate subtle jokes or know when to substitute a localisation if the context would be too difficult to explain.

There are traditionally two groups of fans: ones who don't care wut da subbbs sez az longas its englsh-shapped and those who really want to know exactly what is being portrayed and are likely studying/wanting to study Japanese.

One problem is that for most media, if the first translation available is a speedsub (or in this case AI mangle-ation), that generally snuffs out any impetus for people to create an accurate version.

Also, if only one person referred to Animeflix as the "Netflix of anime," why does that sobriquet appear in the headline?

Upvote
37 (44 / -7)

mstea

Seniorius Lurkius
Subscriptor

A streaming site isn't "preservation", it's just a way to watch things online. If it can get taken down and anyone who used the site is left without anything, it wasn't "preserving" anything.

Upvote
47 (49 / -2)

williamyf

Ars Tribunus Militum
Why does the article state the site shut down for unknown reasons but the caption under the hero image says "Disney+ promotional art for The Fable, an anime series that triggered Animeflix takedown notices"?
because the role of disney and sony is not an acknowledged fact, but rather a suspicion of the community at large.

Upvote
14 (15 / -1)

williamyf

Ars Tribunus Militum
Even more painfully ironic when Crunchyroll started out as exactly one of these sorts of piracy sites.
¿Then why did not disney, or paramount, or netflix, or Max or any of the plethora of others did a a sony, bought them up and cleaned their act?

There must be a reason why sony took the risk with crunchyroll and the others did not with animeflix...

Sony had the vision, took the risk (of engaging with the pirate community) and reaped the reward.

The pirates at crunchyroll had the vision, took the risk (of talking to "the man", and risking arrest) and reaped the reward.

Upvote
-19 (5 / -24)

williamyf

Ars Tribunus Militum
If I know anime fans, they love liberties with translation and poor jobs of it. Though I'll admit, Crunchyroll used some new service for adding captions to their dubs and thought the fact that they couldn't get a single proper noun right was intentional satire since I happened across it being added on a KonoSuba rewatch. "Megaman" charging explosions just seemed too on point... it was not.
AI translation vs fansub

osea:

software working with the actual 100% correct script to do the translation vs fandom wetware using sound transducers to try to capture the script (but i guess sometimes the japanese closed captions are available) and then translate...

lets see who comes on top.

Upvote
-13 (4 / -17)

Wheels Of Confusion

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
I'm pretty sure Crunchyroll is the Netflix for anime. They're the ones bogarting the exclusive rights for a number of series.
Calling a pirate site "the Netflix of anime" is very weird when Crunchyroll exists.

Prior to its shutdown, Animeflix attracted millions of monthly visits, TorrentFreak reported. It was preferred by some anime fans for its clean interface, with one fan on Reddit describing Animeflix as the "Netflix of anime."

"Deadass this site was clean," one Reddit user wrote. "The best I’ve ever seen. Sad to see it go."

Upvote
4 (5 / -1)
AI translation vs fansub

osea:

software working with the actual 100% correct script to do the translation vs fandom wetware using sound transducers to try to capture the script (but i guess sometimes the japanese closed captions are available) and then translate...

lets see who comes on top.
Do you remember how zero fansubbers could understand the lyrics to that one part of the hit song *~Asterisk~?

Country Ma'am remembers.

Upvote
-2 (3 / -5)