T-Mobile users enraged as “Un-carrier” breaks promise to never raise prices

Post content hidden for low score. Show…

waldo22

Ars Praetorian
Subscriptor++
T-Mobile's 2017 FAQ described the Un-contract as "our commitment that only you can change what you pay and we mean it! To show just how serious we are, we have committed to pay your final month's recurring service charges if we were to raise prices and you choose to leave. Just let us know within 60 days."
At our company, we call the FAQ the "Fa-Q page".

Last edited:
Upvote
148 (154 / -6)

waldo22

Ars Praetorian
Subscriptor++
/s, hopefully? Because what you said isn't what the advertising implied.
Added the /s. People's sarcasm detectors appear to be broken today.

EDIT: I intended this to be silly, not insulting, but I obviously failed. I understand why people can't tell sarcasm on an online post, I just mistakenly assumed people knew enough about my post history to know I wouldn't side with an immoral corporation over consumers. It's hard to keep track of where everyone stands on things. Thanks for the grace!

Last edited:
Upvote
27 (109 / -82)
I've seen other claims that this was targetted at seniors but don't see any reason why they think that. It affected lots of other plans.

"Price Lock" feels like a lie though. Their terms read more like take it or leave it.
I think it was a plan for people 55 years or older.

Upvote
45 (47 / -2)

ethd

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Added the /s. People's sarcasm detectors appear to be broken today.
I appreciate you adding it regardless. Sarcasm detection has become harder on the modern Internet due to people saying all sorts of insane shit whole-cloth. That isn't your fault, but it does mean people have lower tolerance for this than they used to.

Upvote
209 (214 / -5)
/s, hopefully? Because what you said isn't what the advertising implied.

Especially since T-Mobile has honored this in the past. I had a plan that was 15-20 years old, and the price hadn't changed in that time. When I added data, the rep had to give me a new plan, because my old one no longer existed to add data to it.

Essentially, they had me on a fixed, orphaned recurring charge, but had no idea where that charge came from. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote
62 (62 / 0)
In the article's last paragraph, a customer complained of T-Mobile's data breaches, indicating that his SSN was now "all over the dark web". Why would a carrier have anyone's SSN?

Preventing identity fraud, and determining credit risk. The credit risk issue can easily be circumvented by paying for your stuff up front.

The identity fraud would be useful, if T-Mobile could be trusted to secure data.

Just say "no".

Upvote
31 (31 / 0)

autostop

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Credit checks are required for post paid plans.
And those "$15 a month iPhone" plans are consumer loans.

You can sometimes put down an advance deposit to get out of a credit check to establish service, which I recommend you do just to avoid giving them your SSN. Same thing with power or gas.

Upvote
45 (45 / 0)

julesverne

Ars Scholae Palatinae
A service with fixed price in perpetuity is a ridiculous offer. Don't know what the company was thinking. Nor anyone who believed the offer.

I'm in Europe, and apologize for my ignorance of American law.
My own broadband price will increase next month for the first time since I subscribed over ten years ago. The hike is 1.90€. And the law stipulates that every price increase entitles the subscriber to cancel their subscription penalty free.

Upvote
12 (27 / -15)

dan_2592

Seniorius Lurkius
I'm on an old Simple Choice promo plan (2 lines, unlimited talk/text/data, $100/mo), with a third line added through a This One's On Us promo. Still not sure how I managed to evade these price increases. I've been paying the same price for at least the last 10 years.
Do everything possible to keep it. newer plans do away with so many features, like voicemail to transcript, and put it on their "Premium options" to milk every penny from you.

I regret so much having to change to the "magenta" plan.

Regardless, all this sounds like that Portlandia sketch.

Upvote
22 (22 / 0)

tipsy.trex

Ars Scholae Palatinae
I think it was a plan for people 55 years or older.
That particular plan is, but the price bump affected anyone on a "Magenta____" plan. I'm on a Magenta military plan and we got a 2 dollar per line price bump. I would leave to send a message but I have a large family plan and after some research I'm struggling to find anything that's not more expensive with what I'm currently paying without having to make compromises. Between that and the hassle of coordinating moving everyone over (we're spread out over three states)...t-mobile kinda has us by the short hairs.

Upvote
20 (21 / -1)
That particular plan is, but the price bump affected anyone on a "Magenta____" plan. I'm on a Magenta military plan and we got a 2 dollar per line price bump. I would leave to send a message but I have a large family plan and after some research I'm struggling to find anything that's not more expensive with what I'm currently paying without having to make compromises. Between that and the hassle of coordinating moving everyone over (we're spread out over three states)...t-mobile kinda has us by the short hairs.
I am on that plan and did not get a price bump.

Upvote
7 (7 / 0)

Person_Man

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor
I had a feeling when John Legere left this shit would happen. He's the one who implemented the all fees included bill with no surprises and the price lock. Their customer numbers grew like crazy after that. He seemed to get what people wanted. Now they're just like the other carriers unfortunately.

Upvote
72 (72 / 0)

JoeJohnJackson

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
That's an absurd premise. If lifetime plans worked that way then every company in the world would start offering "lifetime" plans that randomly expired anywhere from a few days to a few months out.
Seems you simply haven't been paying attention. Here's just three such notable examples:

Upvote
-7 (8 / -15)

cyberfunk

Ars Scholae Palatinae
I am also absolutely livid about this, particularly about the part where they refuse to refund me, and was given the same runaround from the idiots at T-Mobile::

I got excuses almost exactly like this one “it was noted that notification of cancellation from your end came after the cancellation had already been processed, which does not meet the terms and conditions set forth for the Un-contract promise,"

I also filed an FCC complaint and a CC chargeback. The worst part of this mess is that once you cancel your account you can’t get into your dashboard on the website anymore and can’t pull any prior bills or documentation. They don’t tell you about any of this until you port your numbers out and suddenly you’re unable to login. It’s almost like they don’t want to provide you with any possible documentation that you could use to enforce your contractual rights…

It’s clear they are using every trick in the book to hide behind bureaucratic process technicalities in avoiding refunding their customers. These people are scum

Upvote
77 (77 / 0)

sonicmerlin

Ars Scholae Palatinae
A highly upvoted comment from the Legere leaving/T-mobile sprint merger thread:

Long-time T-mobile customer, happy to see this went through. I do hope that Dish is required to actually USE the assets they buy from T-mobile themselves, rather than just sitting on them or selling them off to AT&T or Verizon.

Lol. Seemed like everyone at the time was excited to see the number of cellular carriers shrink from 4 to 3. It’s amazing how easily brainwashed people are by corporate propaganda that was singing the praises of the merger at the time. Most Ars commenters were quick to lose sight of the consequences.

I’ll never understand it though. T-mobile was expanding rapidly even without spending billions on another company, we finally had some great price competition. And then sprint wants to sell clearly because they didn’t want to compete. It’s not that they were unprofitable. It’s that margins were too low for masayoshi son, who owned sprint at the time. Just ridiculous people fell for the hype.

Upvote
-8 (14 / -22)
A highly upvoted comment from the Legere leaving/T-mobile sprint merger thread:

Lol. Seemed like everyone at the time was excited to see the number of cellular carriers shrink from 4 to 3. It’s amazing how easily brainwashed people are by corporate propaganda that was singing the praises of the merger at the time. Most Ars commenters were quick to lose sight of the consequences.
To be entirely fair, Sprint was pretty much done for anyway. There was a popular school of thought that it would be better for T-Mo to gain their assets and put them on equal footing to AT&T and Verizon than to have them go to bankruptcy auction and have AT&T and Verizon snap up some portion of their assets - or worse, to have AT&T or Verizon snap them up entirely.

I'm still not sure that point of view was entirely wrong, but the problem with putting the company on equal footing to AT&T and Verizon is that they take it as license to behave like AT&T and Verizon. Power corrupts.

Upvote
53 (54 / -1)