Surface Pro 11 and Laptop 7 review: An Apple Silicon moment for Windows

Post content hidden for low score. Show…

kc_jeffro

Smack-Fu Master, in training
Subscriptor++
So one of the issues with Qualcomm SoCs has been lack of long support; at least in part, this is why Google has moved to their own chipsets, as a part of a bid to be able to match other vendors offering 5 to 7 years of OS (Android) upgrades and patches.

I haven't seen this issue discussed within the context of Windows-on-Arm.

If I buy one of these systems, how many years of life can I expect to get out of them? Am I looking at a new laptop in just 3 to 4 years if I want to continue running Windows in a secure fashion?

Upvote
230 (235 / -5)

tuna74

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Contrary to Linux, Windows has a rather stable driver API + values backwards compatibility, so even un-updated drivers would last much longer than for Android. Most new versions of Linux require new drivers. Almost no new version of Windows does.
The sad situation on Android is a perfect storm of Linux requiring driver updates, and Qualcom not providing them. Just one needs to be solved - if only Linux devs cared a bit more about users...

Tell that to the people with GMA500 graphic cards stuck on Windows 7.

Upvote
36 (55 / -19)
I really want to like this platform. I think it is a huge step in the right direction,and I think the AI features , while not being terribly useful right now, will be an absolute game changer over time.

I actually was planning on buying the Lenovo 7x on launch day, but when I went to buy it, I tried it (and several other CoPilot+ PCs out, and honestly I was not impressed. On easily-available benchmarks like Speedometer 3.0, my four year old M1 Macbook Air blew them out of the water, some of the programs I downloaded (thanks BestBuy guy who wanted to see them too) ran poorly or not at all, I got the kind of segfaults and program bombs I haven't seen since NT4.

The hardware was beautiful. Very well done. the OLED screen was extremely good on the Lenovo, but they are priced in Macbook Air territory, and unless you need Windows applications? They are just not there in terms of user experience.

Apple did a fantastic job with Rosetta while the programs caught up with the then-new ARM architecture. Microsoft does not seem to have done as good a job.

I was quite prepared to drop $1200 on one of these. In fact, that is why I went to the store. But comparing that to a similarly-priced M3 Air? The Air is just substantially ahead.

Maybe in a few months, when more of the issues have been ironed out, I might buy one, but right now? I have seen absolutely nothing to justify giving up my old, base M1 Air.

Upvote
82 (110 / -28)

MTSkibum

Ars Scholae Palatinae
I think ARM Windows is just a matter of when and not if at this point, although it is probably 10 years out.

Many of the big fortune 500 companies are running old proprietary desktop applications that have 32 bit dll's that take years to refactor until they can be compiled in 64 bit.

Hopefully the people purchasing the laptops at those companies don't rush out to buy ARM laptops for the general population.

I hope to have my code refactored by end of this year where it can natively run on ARM PC's, I don't trust the IT purchasing department to inform me of their decisions.

Upvote
-16 (15 / -31)

barich

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor++
Contrary to Linux, Windows has a rather stable driver API + values backwards compatibility, so even un-updated drivers would last much longer than for Android. Most new versions of Linux require new drivers. Almost no new version of Windows does.
The sad situation on Android is a perfect storm of Linux requiring driver updates, and Qualcom not providing them. Just one needs to be solved - if only Linux devs cared a bit more about users...

If you want to be secure, you still need driver updates. Drivers regularly have security flaws of their own. You may still be able to update Windows without Qualcomm's support, unlike Android, but that's not enough.

Other than that, these are relatively impressive looking SoCs. It's disappointing that single-thread performance is still so far behind Apple, though. I had really hoped Qualcomm would outdo Intel and AMD on that front.

Upvote
69 (70 / -1)

Rick06

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
So one of the issues with Qualcomm SoCs has been lack of long support; at least in part, this is why Google has moved to their own chipsets, as a part of a bid to be able to match other vendors offering 5 to 7 years of OS (Android) upgrades and patches.

If I buy one of these systems, how many years of life can I expect to get out of them? Am I looking at a new laptop in just 3 to 4 years if I want to continue running Windows in a secure fashion?
6 years, until June 18th, 2030.

BTW, that was a major concern for me as well, and one of the first thing I checked before buying a surface laptop 7 for my wife this morning.

I really have no idea of what will happen afterward. Would Windows still be able to update itself without the producer support (as for any x86 CPU) or not?

Upvote
85 (87 / -2)

tuna74

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Many of the big fortune 500 companies are running old proprietary desktop applications that have 32 bit dll's that take years to refactor until they can be compiled in 64 bit.

I work on CAD/Design software that uses it's own proprietary JIT VM on Windows. We are not done any work on making an ARM version of that.

Upvote
41 (41 / 0)
Intel is probably kicking themselves for segmenting (patent protected) AVX instructions out of the lowend market for so long and so strongly encouraging developers to keep compiling the (patent expired) SSE code paths into programs.
Intel is probably kicking themselves for a lot these days.

Last edited:
Upvote
103 (104 / -1)

nehinks

I really want to like the Surface Laptops (not just the new versions), but the extreme glossy screen kills it for me. Just give me something non-mirrored.

On to this specifically, definitely like the improvement of efficiency. Really do not need or want all the new AI integration - that's a negative, not even a neutral for me.

Upvote
30 (32 / -2)

barich

Subscriptor++

BTW, that was a major concern for me as well, and one of the first thing I checked before buying a surface laptop 7 for my wife this morning.

I really have no idea of what will happen afterward. Would Windows still be able to update itself without the producer support (as for any x86 CPU) or not?

6 years is pretty bad. Google will support the relatively inexpensive Pixel 8a for a year longer than that.

AFAIK Intel supported things for longer as well. For example, Ivy Bridge launched April 29, 2012 and Intel's last graphics driver for that platform was released on October 23, 2020. That's a bit over 8 years.

Upvote
71 (73 / -2)

Emon

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor++
Which is who exactly? The person who was happy using a proprietary SCM (Bitkeeper) before designing and implementing Git?
Sure, why not? You really think wanting to use an off the shelf solution for SCM is somehow equivalent to what Nadella is pushing for? Especially when he created Git BECAUSE THEY CHANGED THE LICENSE TO FUCK EVERYONE OVER?

How the hell are these things even remotely comparable? One does actively bad things. The other made a practical engineering decision like 15 years ago that you think is unideal. What kind of ideologically purity bullshit is that?

Again, I don't like Linus, I'm not some mouth breathing sycophant who defends his abusive, dickish behavior. But be fucking real.

Upvote
6 (35 / -29)

NeoMorpheus

Ars Tribunus Militum

Considering that MS already pulled similar shenanigans with Windows 10 and then with W11, they will be more than happy to double down with now having Qualcomm as a possible scapegoat.

Upvote
8 (21 / -13)

davolfman

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Oof! No manufacturer/custom printer drivers and no colorimeters/spectrophotometers is a great way to have a product be largely irrelevant to photographers. Color management is about more than screen calibration and many wouldn't trust manufacturer profiles for that to be accurate on principle anyway. It might resign it to intake-only use. It might make video a non-starter for some too, but I bet that's a bit less color-critical since the audience has a profiled screen statistically never.

It would probably be worth Microsoft's time to pay out to get drivers developed cooperatively with manufacturers for critical bits of hardware for high-visibility creative industries, if only for the halo effect Apple benefits from.

Upvote
17 (28 / -11)

psarhjinian

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor++
Microsoft has been trying to make Windows-on-Arm-processors a thing for so long that, at some point, I think I just started assuming it was never actually going to happen.

The first effort was Windows RT, which managed to run well enough on the piddly Arm hardware available at the time but came with a perplexing new interface and couldn't run any apps designed for regular Intel- and AMD-based Windows PCs.
Wasn't Windows CE technically the first version of Windows that Microsoft tried to shoehorn onto ARM?

And didn't it fail for more or less the same reasons as RT: just different enough and incompatible enough to be not worth the trouble?

Upvote
15 (18 / -3)

I'd say you'd very, very likely still have OS updates after that point until Microsoft determines the latest Windows just needs more than the SoC can provide. Window's driver model is a lot more flexible than Android's; I am still getting Windows 10 updates on a Sandy Bridge desktop that hasn't seen official Intel support in years and years. OS updates aren't beholden to component vendor or driver support almost at all these days (I think Vista was the last time a major Windows version required driver updates in a broad way).

Upvote
51 (51 / 0)
It sounds like sleep/idle battery life is a true game changing step up to Apple Silicon Mac/smartphone like, overnight sleep barely uses any power, and it delivers an AS like experience there. But at peak core power it still draws more power for lower performance than Apple's, and is more like midway between the x86 camp and Apple Silicon at full bore power perf/watt.

This is a really nice update for Windows then that delivers a lot of the power saving benefits for most people, as most people don't have a laptop doing a full load most of the time. However, if Lunar Lake delivers even close to that increase in battery life, I wonder if that could defend that camp and will people bother switching and dealing with compatibility uncertainty if the benefit ratio is much smaller or even in Intels favour.

Last edited:
Upvote
41 (41 / 0)
But in all cases, you can tell the difference between a translated app and a native one; using a translated app was always just annoying enough to send me searching to see whether the developer had said anything about the state of Arm support or had released a beta that would speed things up.

That's about all you need to say about these devices. When you're relieved to find there is a native app for a program that is just text and photos (slack), that tells me that the entire experience is going to be sub par.

Unlike Apple, the pc industry isn't just going to flip all of the applications over in a couple years. So I fully expect you'll be living with the same subpar experience that's only going to get worse as the device ages for the majority of applications.

I do wish you would have had the previous generation surfaces to compare to. It's a bit odd to be talking about Mac vs Windows when most of the buyers looking at these are going to be windows users. It would be nice to know if these devices are regressions from the previous versions.

Upvote
49 (55 / -6)

Drum

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor
The launch of the Snapdragon X Elite (and associated lower parts) has been pretty interesting. It's, in a lot of ways, a watershed moment for Microsoft (and Qualcomm, who has been failing to succeed in this space for quite some time). But I wonder if it will be a bit underwhelming in the grand scheme of the market at the end of 2024.

The performance is pretty good - when supported by a fan and on main power. The efficiency is pretty great, when compared to Meteor Lake (last year's product) and Zen 4 (last year's product). Qualcomm's biggest advantage is the 1-4 month lead they have over their x86 counterparts. They made some pretty big promises that feel partially fulfilled, but they're staring down the barrel of Lunar Lake, Zen 5, and Apple's M4, all of which are poised to either make pretty big gains (both Intel and AMD seem pretty happy with efficiency gains on those chips) or make modest gains that still will extend a class leading part (in the case of the M4).

I have a M1 macbook air right now that is a bit long in the tooth (pandemic sales on the base 8GB model). I'm hoping to upgrade it but I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger on anything before seeing everything everybody has to show this year.

Upvote
31 (33 / -2)

Bippy

Ars Centurion
Subscriptor
Wasn't Windows CE technically the first version of Windows that Microsoft tried to shoehorn onto ARM?

And didn't it fail for more or less the same reasons as RT: just different enough and incompatible enough to be not worth the trouble?
Windows CE had its first release in 1996 and its most recent (and final) release 8 months ago.

Weird kind of failure.

Upvote
59 (61 / -2)