Star Citizen still hasn’t launched, but it’s already banning cheaters

stormcrash

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
CIG founder and CEO Chris Roberts said in a March update that the development team "is hard at work, heads down, driving toward the finish line" and that the leadership team has now "spent significant time looking at what Star Citizen 1.0 means and what it would take to get there." That includes the planned introduction of long-sought key features like base building and crafting that were apparently not a priority during the game's first 11-plus years of development work.
How?! I mean, just, how!? How do you either lack an actual feature plan or how was your original roadmap so bad/useless that you seemingly never knew, in 11 years, what your MVP was for a 1.0 release? This game is both a total farce and the grift gift that keeps on giving. I'd almost love to see what their original roadmaps even looked like given how far off the rails it is, a window into a parallel universe of pure fiction

Upvote
165 (173 / -8)

stormcrash

Star Citizen will never truly launch but that's fine. It's basically an eternal live service game which as long as the players enjoy it that's fine.

I should really do my yearly "what is this now" that I've forgotten to do for a few years
Oh man, I know it's not your intent but the notion of an "eternal live" game just gave me flashbacks to the disastrous launch of Hello Neighbour and the early access boosters defending it saying that "the game is evolving" and "you had to play through all the early access releases along the way to really understand how brilliant the game is"

Upvote
65 (68 / -3)
Game-breaking bugs both persist for years and re-appear once squashed.
Money making bugs are patched in weeks.

Does the glitch let you kill players in armistice? We'll fix it eventually maybe, no one will be punished.
Does the glitch let you buy one of our cash-shop ships in-game. Ban time.

Oh, you exploited a glitch to its fullest in this alpha, giving us a lot of data on it? Banned.

Upvote
226 (232 / -6)
Post content hidden for low score. Show…

*Legion*

Ars Praetorian
Subscriptor
Everything I've ever read about Star Citizen and its development just assumes that all of these massive, cutting-edge features add up to fun.

There's so much effort on getting these staggeringly big systems to work at all, and it's just taken on faith that in the end, they'll be fun.

There seems to be precious little game design in their space video game.

Upvote
122 (127 / -5)
Oh man, I know it's not your intent but the notion of an "eternal live" game just gave me flashbacks to the disastrous launch of Hello Neighbour and the early access boosters defending it saying that "the game is evolving" and "you had to play through all the early access releases along the way to really understand how brilliant the game is"
Yeah I'm personally not a fan of live service games because I will always miss any of the fun things due to my own amount of time (I only finally finished FO4 DLC and MGSV this year lmao). Nor am I really fine with the absurd pricing of Star Citizen content but it's also not harming me for it to exist as it is and those that enjoy it clearly do. And I can go mess around with my ship I bought like 10+ years ago and it's still there.

Upvote
50 (51 / -1)

Made in Hurry

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
I really wonder what kind of money the average player has sunk into this game.

At this point they've missed the boom period for their own genre. Space games were hot 8-10 years ago, with Elite: Dangerous and No Man's Sky coming out. Now I feel like most people have kind of had their fill.
Starsector is a great indie game, runs on a potato on all platforms with a sizable mod community, highly recommended and it is popular, so i am not sure people got their fill just yet. It's not the same sure, but it's fun as hell.

The hours i have spent on it is starting to become worrying.

Upvote
52 (54 / -2)
Star Citizen isn't in 'early access'. It's in perpetual development. There is no endstate release build it's building towards, especially after it's been available and people have been playing it for a decade. It should be treated as a released game, because it is.

Also, I'm not saying that Star Citizen is a front for a criminal money-laundering enterprise, since I have no evidence whatsoever of that. I am, however, saying that if it was, I can't imagine how it would look any different than the current product.

Upvote
154 (160 / -6)
This is alpha. They should be thanking those players for illuminating the exploit! :)
That was also kind of my gut reaction, TBH. Okay, so it threw off the game economy. Wipe the ill-gotten gains and move on; lesson learned.

Of course, this is Star Citizen, which has been surviving on "whales" continually feeding more real-world cash into the eternal alpha and somehow staying constantly addicted to it. So if they accidentally banned a few whales, no worries, like all exploiters they'll just dump more money into an alt account and keep playing. More money for CIG!

Upvote
54 (57 / -3)
Yeah I'm personally not a fan of live service games because I will always miss any of the fun things due to my own amount of time (I only finally finished FO4 DLC and MGSV this year lmao). Nor am I really fine with the absurd pricing of Star Citizen content but it's also not harming me for it to exist as it is and those that enjoy it clearly do. And I can go mess around with my ship I bought like 10+ years ago and it's still there.
The kickstarter for StarCitizen included the promise of privately hosted servers and the associate modding. It was listed as a "core feature".

The modding guide disappeared from the store last year.

Upvote
117 (117 / 0)

Klinn

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor++
At this point they've missed the boom period for their own genre. Space games were hot 8-10 years ago, with Elite: Dangerous and No Man's Sky coming out. Now I feel like most people have kind of had their fill.

Very cleverly, they're aiming for the resurgence of interest in the genre in about, oh, another 8-10 years from now.

Upvote
115 (116 / -1)

Demmrir

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor
Ohhh the irony, that it hasn't launched and they're banning cheaters... but the landing image is the Star Citizen Copy/Pasta of Eve's Venture Mining ship that's over a decade old. Even the imagery and style of the photo is practically a rip off of EVE advertising.
Came here to post that I'd seen that ship before, thanks for looking up (or remembering) the name for me.

I guess when your entire business model is selling ship JPGs, borrowing "inspiration" is an effective business plan too.

Upvote
60 (60 / 0)
Has Chris started talking about shoehorning in AI yet?
It's always "just this tech holding us back" with Chris.

But when the tech comes, the change doesn't. Building Blocks is a good example. It was the replacement for Flash and was supposed to usher in an age of rapid-build, high complexity, interfaces (such as playable video games and working vending machines).

It's been years since building blocks went live; and we've yet to see those promises come to pass.

Hell: we don't even have animations for a good number of the things our characters do... like press buttons.

Upvote
52 (52 / 0)

DarthSlack

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
Star Citizen isn't in 'early access'. It's in perpetual development. There is no endstate release build it's building towards, especially after it's been available and people have been playing it for a decade. It should be treated as a released game, because it is.

Also, I'm not saying that Star Citizen is a front for a criminal money-laundering enterprise, since I have no evidence whatsoever of that. I am, however, saying that if it was, I can't imagine how it would look any different than the current product.

Au contraire, I can't see any criminal money-laundering enterprise putting up with a shit-show like Star Citizen. If they were involved, the game would be in a much better place.

Upvote
62 (64 / -2)

Demmrir

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor
How?! I mean, just, how!? How do you either lack an actual feature plan or how was your original roadmap so bad/useless that you seemingly never knew, in 11 years, what your MVP was for a 1.0 release? This game is both a total farce and the grift gift that keeps on giving. I'd almost love to see what their original roadmaps even looked like given how far off the rails it is, a window into a parallel universe of pure fiction
It's important to remember that Chris Roberts has never shipped a game. He's been involved in lots of games, expanding scope and exploring ideas and developing systems, but he's always had to have someone come in to actually finish and ship the games.

He literally doesn't know the meaning of feature creep. He's actually argued that it basically doesn't exist and more features are worth the wait, indefinitely.

Upvote
102 (104 / -2)

Corporate_Goon

Ars Tribunus Militum
Subscriptor
I'm not sure I can get behind banning players for exploiting a bug in alpha code.

Exploiting a bug like this isn't cheating in the same way that using a hack to give yourself a million in game dollars, or using an aimbot, or something like that is. It's an exploit, not a cheat.

Patch the bug and remove the ill-gotten currency? Sure, makes sense. Ban players for taking advantage of YOUR bug? Particularly when such players may have invested hundreds or thousands of dollars in your game?

Not really defensible behaviour, IMO.

Upvote
134 (137 / -3)

OrvGull

Starsector is a great indie game, runs on a potato on all platforms with a sizable mod community, highly recommended and it is popular, so i am not sure people got their fill just yet. It's not the same sure, but it's fun as hell.

That's a good point. Top-down strategy space games pretty much never stopped being a thing. I was thinking more of first-person cockpit sims, which were big in the 1990s, then kind of died out for a while before coming back in the 2010's. I think partly it's been driven by technology -- in the 1990s, 3D accelerator cards abruptly became affordable, and then in the 2010s we had the VR fad. Elite: Dangerous in particular was heavily pitched as a VR-enabled game, which explains some of its odder design choices.

Upvote
26 (26 / 0)

Bulwark07

Smack-Fu Master, in training
Subscriptor
Their Stretch Goals wiki page is pretty illuminating:

Upvote
26 (26 / 0)

But when the tech comes, the change doesn't. Building Blocks is a good example. It was the replacement for Flash and was supposed to usher in an age of rapid-build, high complexity, interfaces (such as playable video games and working vending machines).

It's been years since building blocks went live; and we've yet to see those promises come to pass.

Hell: we don't even have animations for a good number of the things our characters do... like press buttons.
I mean, funny thing is, if they built a good engine base and released modding tools, a bunch of random bored people on the internet would probably literally add a bunch of that stuff in for free (like Skyrim, lets just animate eating: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4652)

Upvote
36 (36 / 0)

stormcrash

Wait, you're not telling me this massive game was originally being built using Flash are you?

Upvote
27 (31 / -4)

stormcrash

Ooh I might have to look into that later

Upvote
9 (9 / 0)
Ohhh the irony, that it hasn't launched and they're banning cheaters... but the landing image is the Star Citizen Copy/Pasta of Eve's Venture Mining ship that's over a decade old. Even the imagery and style of the photo is practically a rip off of EVE advertising.
First thing I noticed about the article. Seems CCP games also noticed.

Upvote
36 (37 / -1)

Ten Wind

Ars Tribunus Militum
Everything I've ever read about Star Citizen and its development just assumes that all of these massive, cutting-edge features add up to fun.

There's so much effort on getting these staggeringly big systems to work at all, and it's just taken on faith that in the end, they'll be fun.

There seems to be precious little game design in their space video game.
They are, definitely not for everyone, but star citizen is some of the most fun I've had in a game over the last several years.

Honestly I prefer the 'build a bunch of cool stuff and see how it interacts' school of game design - like dorf fortress - far more than the over designed (imo) modern style of games you see in HZD or Assassins creed.

Upvote
0 (17 / -17)
Wait, you're not telling me this massive game was originally being built using Flash are you?
The engine was Cryengine (still is, but it's heavily modified) which used Adobe Flash for things like computer screen interfaces in-game.

So : Kind-of yes... Flash was in use, in-engine for terminals and MFDs and the like until the switch to Building Blocks (2022 if memory serves).

Upvote
56 (56 / 0)
I mean, funny thing is, if they built a good engine base and released modding tools, a bunch of random bored people on the internet would probably literally add a bunch of that stuff in for free (like Skyrim, lets just animate eating: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4652)
I've made that exact argument. The community would have fixed a lot of this long ago if it was allowed to.

Maybe Squadron 42 (the single-player SC) will be moddable. If so, CIG is claiming that's close to release. Time will tell I suppose: CIG claims a lot of things.

Upvote
18 (18 / 0)

nehinks

Is it anything like Escape Velocity?

Upvote
10 (10 / 0)

stormcrash

The engine was Cryengine (still is, but it's heavily modified) which used Adobe Flash for things like computer screen interfaces in-game.

So : Kind-of yes... Flash was in use, in-engine for terminals and MFDs and the like until the switch to Building Blocks (2022 if memory serves).
Ewww

Upvote
22 (22 / 0)