Rumored new 4K Chromecast may fix long-standing storage issues

ERIFNOMI

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor++
I do miss the simpler cast-target Chromecasts that didn't try to be a smart TV. It was nice to have something that did one thing really well: just play stuff I tossed over from Chrome or an app.

For that matter, I really miss Chromecast Audio.
You can still cast to the Chromecast (and other Google/Android TV devices). I think a lot of people struggled not having a remote to control their TV though.

Love CC Audios. I still have a few and I'm very happy they still work. I was all but certain they'd add a 3.5mm jack to the Home Minis as a replacement for the CCA. You can connect them via BT, but it's just not the same.

Upvote
53 (54 / -1)

Dianoda

Smack-Fu Master, in training
Subscriptor
New processor would be welcome.

I've had the current 4K version since 2020 and even when new it felt dogshit slow to load apps and browse, and the device itself runs quite warm at idle, too. Honestly has seen very little use in my household over the past couple years because the built-in apps on our 2019 LG OLED run much better/load content more quickly, so any app with overlap we use the LG instead. Some of the more niche streaming apps coming to PS5 was pretty much the nail in the coffin for it. Felt like Google hardly ever updated the software and the device just got unbearably slow over time.

Upvote
16 (20 / -4)
I had the current one and it's not a good product. It's slow, it doesn't have ethernet, it struggles with Dolby Vision, and it's crammed full of ads thinly disguised as recommendations.

I replaced it with an Apple TV 4K and even at triple the price I've been very happy. It actually does what it's supposed to do and has a clean interface.

Upvote
2 (24 / -22)

agt499

Ars Tribunus Militum
Would be great to see a microSD slot to solve the storage issue. Meanwhile the 2019 Nvidia ShieldTV is still the king of GoogleTV devices albeit with a few limitations, not the least of which is lack of AV1 support.
You'll see a microSD slot in a Google device about a year after Apple add one to the iPhone.
Far too simple and effective a solution to ever happen.

Upvote
19 (28 / -9)

ERIFNOMI

Subscriptor++
I know it's more expensive, but the AppleTV seems like the only streaming box that doesn't seem compromised in one or more fundamentally important ways. I switched years ago from Roku and GoogleTV and haven't looked back.
The NV Shield TVs are very nice too, but also more expensive. You get what you pay for.

Upvote
38 (38 / 0)

stormcrash

I know it's more expensive, but the AppleTV seems like the only streaming box that doesn't seem compromised in one or more fundamentally important ways. I switched years ago from Roku and GoogleTV and haven't looked back.
Google is, as always a mess, Roku is stumbling, FireTV (and the whole Fire range in general) seems to be flaming out

Upvote
18 (21 / -3)

ERIFNOMI

Subscriptor++
I had the current one and it's not a good product. It's slow, it doesn't have ethernet, it struggles with Dolby Vision, and it's crammed full of ads thinly disguised as recommendations.

I replaced it with an Apple TV 4K and even at triple the price I've been very happy. It actually does what it's supposed to do and has a clean interface.
You can add Ethernet via an adapter. There's even an official one.

Upvote
42 (43 / -1)

tangerinecheese

Ars Praetorian
Subscriptor
A faster device would be very welcome, and one with updated HDMI revision as my projector/avr have a terrible time handshaking with the current chromecast w/tv.

I wouldn't mind also if Google could suck up whatever they need to for every streaming service to have Atmos available too, a glaring omission with the Amazon Prime Video app.

Upvote
5 (5 / 0)

dipzip

Subscriptor
Is lack of storage space really a problem for normal users of this device? I've got one, I think it's the 2020 model. I have a handful of streaming apps installed, not sure what else I would fill this up with. The notion of installing games on it seems laughable to me, is that really a viable use case?
Agree, I've never worried about storage. Gaming on it seems like a strange proposition. And unless newer Android versions make the kit faster, I don't see why I need it. In my unprofessional experience, newer android and OS versions are slower.

Since I don't have storage complaints, my real issue is that the Chromecast 4K dongle is just slow overall. In addition, I have to reboot it every week or so to get around streaming issues and apparent memory loss? (who knows, but when I reboot it, all the buffering issues go away). It also has bugs when using voice-search, that I've stopped using that feature, too.

Upvote
22 (24 / -2)

scatterthought

Subscriptor
The Chromecast with Google TV's limitations need to be stated in the context of its low price. I think it was smart of Google to put out a budget-focused device, because expensive, high-end options like the Shield and Apple TV already existed.

Saying that, I also think it would have been smart to make an 8GB and a 16GB version to provide users with choice.

Upvote
13 (14 / -1)

flawinthesystem

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
Subscriptor++
Agree, I've never worried about storage. Gaming on it seems like a strange proposition. And unless newer Android versions make the kit faster, I don't see why I need it. In my unprofessional experience, newer android and OS versions are slower.

Since I don't have storage complaints, my real issue is that the Chromecast 4K dongle is just slow overall. In addition, I have to reboot it every week or so to get around streaming issues and apparent memory loss? (who knows, but when I reboot it, all the buffering issues go away). It also has bugs when using voice-search, that I've stopped using that feature, too.
Agreed...I've had mine for awhile now and it does feel slower overall compared to a few years ago. Overall I'm still happy with it but would welcome a new version that has a smoother experience. Sometimes pressing a button has enough delay to make you wonder if it registered so you hit the button again only for both to register.

If they could bring back Chromecast Audio at the same time I would be very happy...

Upvote
12 (12 / 0)
I got the 4K one as a present around Christmas, hoping it would solve all my issues with streaming to my TV. Instead, it's a mess. To get smooth playback I need to tinker with the Developer Options, or I get choppy video via any app that isn't Netflix.

Even Steam Link works worse than what it did on my Samsung Q80T. Too bad that Samsung discontinued the app altogether.

Upvote
0 (4 / -4)

williamyf

Ars Tribunus Militum
Don't even think about the possibility of games—the very popular Genchin Impact needs 20GB to install.

The Chromecast (with Google TV) 2020 had its game support predicated on the use of cloud gaming, stadia in particular. So, saying that it is a flaw not being able to install a game natively is disingenuous at best...

Even nowadays, with stadia discontinued, user5s would be better served if they installed a client for some sort of game streaming, either via cloud (like nVidia GForce NOW or some other of the survivers) or local (like Steam remote play) than to install a full fledged game on the dongle....

Upvote
10 (11 / -1)

stormbeta

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Is lack of storage space really a problem for normal users of this device? I've got one, I think it's the 2020 model. I have a handful of streaming apps installed, not sure what else I would fill this up with. The notion of installing games on it seems laughable to me, is that really a viable use case?
I don't even know which one I have, but I'm struggling to understand how storage is even a concept for one since it's just a cast target for apps on a phone.

Upvote
-13 (6 / -19)

Roonski

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor++
I used to think that and loved it. But recently Apple did away with the separate ‘Movies’ app and integrated it all into the Apple TV+ app, which is frankly a massive step backwards. Now movies you can buy or rent are blended in with movies that are free to watch if you have a TV+ subscription, and TV shows that may or may not be available to you, and TV shows or movies from other services as well.
In theory it’s nice to integrate it all, in reality it made something simple messy.

Edit: it doesn’t help that the Apple TV+ app is just not very good. It has the features but made some confusing choices in the user interface.

Upvote
23 (23 / 0)

rezie

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
Subscriptor++
Can the current generation CCs be powered via USB-C? I know the official specs mention using a power supply. The older ones (i.e. not full Android) seemed to work with just HDMI I believe. Would be neat to cut down on an extra cable.

[Edit] Nevermind - I somehow thought CC outputs video via USB-C, not HDMI.

Last edited:
Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

ERIFNOMI

Subscriptor++
I don't even know which one I have, but I'm struggling to understand how storage is even a concept for one since it's just a cast target for apps on a phone.
The CC with Google TV isn't just a Chromecast. It's running Android with a full UI, Play Store, and apps for whatever services you like to use.

Upvote
15 (15 / 0)

williamyf

Ars Tribunus Militum
Can the current generation CCs be powered via USB-C? I know the official specs mention using a power supply. The older ones (i.e. not full Android) seemed to work with just HDMI I believe. Would be neat to cut down on an extra cable.
Powering via HDMI only was always hit or miss, even in the 1st and 2nd revisions.

Nowadays, you need a power cable. Perhaps a USB port of the TV will provide enough Juice, but the power cable is needed.

A USB-C connector alone will not guarantee anything. As you would need both the CC and the suppling device having some level of USB-BC or USB-PD (or USB-3 or up) support if you want to go beyond 2.5W of power...

Upvote
3 (3 / 0)

avant

Ars Praetorian
Subscriptor++
I do miss the simpler cast-target Chromecasts that didn't try to be a smart TV. It was nice to have something that did one thing really well: just play stuff I tossed over from Chrome or an app.

I'm using my Chromecast Ultra until the wheels fall off.

Upvote
12 (12 / 0)

ERIFNOMI

Subscriptor++
The original CC was not powered via HDMI. They used micro-B for power (and data, if you wanted Ethernet).

The current ones are powered via USB type C, yes. They don't output display over type C.

Upvote
15 (16 / -1)

Granadico

Ars Scholae Palatinae

I'm so bummed I was flat broke when CHromecast Audio was out and going on fire sale, I would have loved to buy some. I prefer having a remote than using my phone for the remote, but becoming a full fledged smart TV device is too far in that direction. Just a basic device that would stream would be great, including streaming games from Steam/etc. And also wouldn't have ads up the ass.

Upvote
5 (5 / 0)

rezie

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
Subscriptor++
The original CC was not powered via HDMI. They used micro-B for power (and data, if you wanted Ethernet).

The current ones are powered via USB type C, yes. They don't output display over type C.
Ah! My bad. I forgot about micro-usb dongle I had way back then.

[Edit] I'm also apparently blind and mistook the port on the CC itself as USB-C, rather than HDMI.

Powering via HDMI only was always hit or miss, even in the 1st and 2nd revisions.

Nowadays, you need a power cable. Perhaps a USB port of the TV will provide enough Juice, but the power cable is needed.

A USB-C connector alone will not guarantee anything. As you would need both the CC and the suppling device having some level of USB-BC or USB-PD (or USB-3 or up) support if you want to go beyond 2.5W of power...

I do have power delivery through my monitor - up to 90W.

I should've provided additional context - I have an Apple TV hooked into one of my monitors for fun since I had a spare one. But it's a third gen, so I was looking into trying out the HD Chromecast but was hoping it could be powered through PD. Though apparently I didn't realize that CC outputs display via HDMI, rather than USB-C, so there goes that thought.

Upvote
1 (1 / 0)

epid.nerd13

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
Subscriptor

Two reasons I returned mine for a Shield Pro 2019:

1. The upscaling 'AI' feature is incredible (at the low setting). Its an astounding difference for 1080p and lower content on my LG C9. Anything over low destroys the image but on the low setting its actually useful.

2. Bitstreamed audio out the HDMI port. I couldn't ever get it to work and it sounds like it is an omission that has carried over generations. Apples UI as also miles better than Google's garbage UX and the Tegra chip is really showing it's age.

If fidelity, untouched audio, and/or the AI upscaling is a feature you want, the Shield is the device with the fewest tradeoffs IMO. It also has the best Dolby Vision support from what i understand. But you are getting a much inferior experience all the way around except when watching content.

Upvote
5 (5 / 0)

nerdferg

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
It's definitely my favorite, and I've tried everything: Roku, every Fire device, Shield, Chromecast, Game consoles. The Apple TV just goes, and never gives me issues.

Upvote
1 (3 / -2)

ERIFNOMI

Subscriptor++
Two reasons I returned mine for a Shield Pro 2019:

1. The upscaling 'AI' feature is incredible (at the low setting). Its an astounding difference for 1080p and lower content on my LG C9. Anything over low destroys the image but on the low setting its actually useful.

2. Bitstreamed audio out the HDMI port. I couldn't ever get it to work and it sounds like it is an omission that has carried over generations. Apples UI as also miles better than Google's garbage UX and the Tegra chip is really showing it's age.

If fidelity and untouched audio and video or the AI upscaling is a feature you want, the Shield is the device with the fewest tradeoffs IMO. But you are getting a much inferior experience all the way around except when watch content.
I've found the AI upscaling to fall flat on its face too often to ever actually use it. It over sharpens the shit out of things. The first time I used it, I was watching a YouTube video where someone was drawing a circuit diagram with a marker. It did not handle the sharp black-on-off-white contrast, giving all the lines a very noticable halo. Another time I tried it out, I was watching someone play a game and it tried to upscale the foliage and again, over sharpened the piss out of it. It was comically bad.

It might work ok for natural scenes, but it's so distractingly bad in other scenarios that it's not worth using.

Upvote
2 (2 / 0)

ERIFNOMI

Subscriptor++
Will this fix the issue where pressing the power button (on the chromecast remote) turns on the TV, but not the Chromecast? I'm tired of walking around the back of my tv and unplugging it, then plugging it back in just to get it to work.
Are you powering the CC from a USB port on the TV?

Upvote
3 (3 / 0)

Onderhond

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
It's going to be for some people, personally I don't need more storage either. For me it needed to replace my Samsung SmartTV apps (which were crashing half of the time) and it's doing a perfectly fine job at that. I have some streaming + TV apps on it, doesn't need to do anything more.

Speed isn't great though, would be nice if they'd improved on that.

Upvote
5 (5 / 0)

epid.nerd13

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
Subscriptor
I've found the AI upscaling to fall flat on its face too often to ever actually use it. It over sharpens the shit out of things. The first time I used it, I was watching a YouTube video where someone was drawing a circuit diagram with a marker. It did not handle the sharp black-on-off-white contrast, giving all the lines a very noticable halo. Another time I tried it out, I was watching someone play a game and it tried to upscale the foliage and again, over sharpened the piss out of it. It was comically bad.

It might work ok for natural scenes, but it's so distractingly bad in other scenarios that it's not worth using.

I find at the low setting it helps tame the compression blocking for DVD rips and streaming services garbage 1080p compression. I agree its not perfect but IMO the low setting really does make a look better more times than it degrades it 🤷‍♀️.

Either way I'll probably be forced to get a ATV when the Shield bites the dust. I'll be mostly bummed about bit streamed audiom

Upvote
1 (1 / 0)