PHP vulnerability allows attackers to run malicious code on Windows servers

Nilt

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
To the people running dated php version because of an obscure WordPress plugin that helps them do everything for their business from their site.

You knew this day was coming.
Yeah, I've fired clients who wouldn't stop doing that stuff. I just don't need to deal with that sort of crap. Sadly, not everyone's able to do opt out in such a manner.

Upvote
59 (61 / -2)

miken32

Ars Scholae Palatinae
While implementing PHP, the team did not notice the Best-Fit feature of encoding conversion within the Windows operating system
It turns out that, as part of unicode processing, PHP will apply what’s known as a ‘best fit’ mapping

So is this the PHP devs just not accounting for OS behaviour, or were they doing something to actively cause this problem?

Upvote
62 (62 / 0)
Post content hidden for low score. Show…

srt8driver

Smack-Fu Master, in training
PHP vuln..oh shit...OOOOhhhh.. only on Windows? Nevermind. and it needs CGI mode. Who runs PHP like that?
Yea my heart skipped a beat reading the headline right before 5pm on Friday; then I relaxed because what professional actually runs PHP server on a windows box? I might just do the rewrite rule anyway since it won't impact our systems & will cut down on the script kiddies hitting the servers this weekend.

Upvote
96 (98 / -2)

fcheslack

Seniorius Lurkius
Frankly PHP and its community stopped deserving derision some years ago and really just deserve sympathy.

Maybe we should open a special mental health fund for php developers.

PPDRF - PPDRF PHP Developer Relief Fund
It's a dumb comment, and outdated (modern PHP is not that bad, Python has developed some pretty bad warts too), but I'll upvote for trying oh so hard to make a recursive acronym joke.

Upvote
48 (51 / -3)

srt8driver

Frankly PHP and its community stopped deserving derision some years ago and really just deserve sympathy.

Maybe we should open a special mental health fund for php developers.

PPDRF - PPDRF PHP Developer Relief Fund
The whole PHP is dead thing, is a conspiracy by seasoned developers to keep the new kids out of the hiring pool. Modern PHP is pretty good, but developer pay for updating old PHP to modern is even better! (That's why we try to keep it a secret!) /s

Upvote
60 (68 / -8)
Yea my heart skipped a beat reading the headline right before 5pm on Friday; then I relaxed because what professional actually runs PHP server on a windows box? I might just do the rewrite rule anyway since it won't impact our systems & will cut down on the script kiddies hitting the servers this weekend.
Not JUST PHP on Windows, but PHP and Apache on Windows! Is phpfm even ON windows?

Upvote
34 (34 / 0)
Wow, haven't heard of CGI in a seriously long time. I didn't think anyone still used it. In case anyone wondering, CGI in this context means Common Gateway Interface.
It's still there just under layers of abstraction. It just works... Until it doesn't and then no one knows what to look for.

Upvote
32 (32 / 0)

wolstech

Seniorius Lurkius
PHP vuln..oh shit...OOOOhhhh.. only on Windows? Nevermind. and it needs CGI mode. Who runs PHP like that?
Cautiously raises hand...

I have a public facing box at work in that boat. PHP 5.6 in CGI mode on an ancient XAMPP install on server 2019 handling data automation and vendor access APIs.

Has anyone tested if this can impact a server with a US English locale setting? Does the so-called "best fit" translation of unicode that's affected and causes this vulnerability still occur if such characters are submitted to a server running in English?

Upvote
40 (41 / -1)

DaveSimmons

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
This comes up in every discussion about PHP. And it’s true, but a language needs more compelling reasons to use it besides “is not crap anymore” when there are other options to choose from with some real strengths.
One strength: You can build an app or API without bringing in a heavy framework or100 layers of nested packages including left-pad. The built-in PHP and standard includes support SQL databases, network calls, string manipulation, file operations, etc.

Upvote
73 (77 / -4)
Post content hidden for low score. Show…

Publius Enigma

Ars Praetorian
Subscriptor
Wow, haven't heard of CGI in a seriously long time. I didn't think anyone still used it. In case anyone wondering, CGI in this context means Common Gateway Interface.
Nothing wrong with CGI. I use it for my website, which is all bash, perl and CGI. It can scale to dozens of users a week.

Upvote
70 (71 / -1)

J.King

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
Wait what? I haven’t done anything with PHP in years, but this can’t be true, is it?
It can happen. WordPress is one of the oldest PHP code bases which is still maintained, and a pretty large one. It has doubtless used a lot of (mis)features over the years which have been deprecated and/or removed. Combine that with PHP versions being supported no more than two years, and you can eventually fall behind if you don't plan carefully.

Upvote
20 (20 / 0)

Adam7288

I went from running PHP 5.x on centos 7, to spending hours and days to getting it up to ... 7.1 with a real struggle. On an old apache version.

To running in containers and now rocking the most recent 8.3.7 on nginx like its nothing.

Containers are the way to go. Can't say enough about it. Changed my life.

Upvote
22 (23 / -1)
One strength: You can build an app or API without bringing in a heavy framework or100 layers of nested packages including left-pad. The built-in PHP and standard includes support SQL databases, network calls, string manipulation, file operations, etc.
PHP has benefitted for years (decades by now, really) from its deployment story being "index.php already works". It was really easy for it to win when the competing deployment stories were things like "first, make sure Perl and CPAN are up to date; you'll also need gcc for compiling mod_perl" and "the Tomcat servlet model is a land of contrasts".

The closest competitor would be a mod_python that was similarly "index.py already works", because Python's batteries-included ethos means you can get a long, long way before you need to even think about package managers.

Upvote
33 (33 / 0)

pahles

Seniorius Lurkius
I went from running PHP 5.x on centos 7, to spending hours and days to getting it up to ... 7.1 with a real struggle. On an old apache version.

To running in containers and now rocking the most recent 8.3.7 on nginx like its nothing.

Containers are the way to go. Can't say enough about it. Changed my life.
I've been running PHP 8.2.x on Centos 7, with a recent version of nginx without any trouble at all. Migrating to a more recent OS now. Containers are nice though.

Upvote
13 (13 / 0)

thingfromtheswamp

Subscriptor
The whole PHP is dead thing, is a conspiracy by seasoned developers to keep the new kids out of the hiring pool. Modern PHP is pretty good, but developer pay for updating old PHP to modern is even better! (That's why we try to keep it a secret!) /s
"new" isn't new anymore in the computer business, it's become a fracking sort of business imo, environmentally damaging and draining all remaining money out of the social main body. Attempting to shove "new" down the paying customer's throat with force. "Late stage capitalism". /rant

Upvote
-17 (3 / -20)

passivesmoking

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Yeah, no kidding, I just sent a ping to the work slack about it, then realised oh, it's probably not a huge deal for us after all, because who hosts PHP on a public-facing server running Windows?

Upvote
6 (8 / -2)

bretayn

Ars Centurion
Subscriptor
Wordpress 6.5 (released in April) seems to be compatible with no exceptions.

Actively supported PHP versions are 8.2 and 8.3. WordPress lists version 6.5 as having "beta support" for 8.2 and 8.3.

Your best bet here, if you have to run WordPress, is to run an LTS version of Linux, where the OS supplier is providing security fixes to an older copy of PHP.

Upvote
23 (23 / 0)

cloudseer

Seniorius Lurkius
At work we’re running enterprise WordPress sites on all supported PHP versions and the limiting factors are the plugins used, the popular ones will at least support 8.1. Anyone talking otherwise haven’t dug into the extreme edge cases that underlay the conservative beta labelling by the community.

If your opinions on PHP and WordPress are older than the block editor or the maintained versions, give it another go?

Checking actual compatibility using CodeSniffer and Compatibility Checker can be started in less time than a comment on your favorite website.

If you have your own vps and run WP personally start by taking away write permissions apart from the uploads directory and run a cron job using WP-cli every night upgrading all the plugins, themes and the platform, and use the recommendations of the site health tool that comes with it.

Upvote
10 (10 / 0)

J.King

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
Actively supported PHP versions are 8.2 and 8.3. WordPress lists version 6.5 as having "beta support" for 8.2 and 8.3.
That's annoying. I consulted the 'Server Environment' documentation which made no mention of exceptions for 6.5, while mentioning exceptions for all earlier versions. The release announcement makes no mention, either. Presumably the table is correct, but there's clearly some room for doubt.

Upvote
5 (5 / 0)