Motorola’s mid-range Edge 2024 packs a 144 Hz display for $549.99

moobg

Ars Centurion
Subscriptor
I used to have Motorola devices and was a big fan. But the atrocious update policy pushed me away (to Samsung, with 4 years of OS updates).
Same, but I got pushed to Pixels. Motorola is absolutely terrible with updates and that's inexcusable at this point with what both Google and Samsung are offering.

Upvote
58 (58 / 0)

whiteknave

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor++
Can't fight the Pixel 8a on software updates. Motorola's update record is barely better than that of a generic Chinese phone manufacturer with a name like JOLUUUWUUUER who only sells on AliExpress.
I just recently got a Pixel 8a to replace my Pixel 6 Pro that died. While the screen is smaller than that to which I had become accustomed, I have been very impressed with the battery life. With the 6 Pro, I had to keep the phone on battery saving mode to get a full day's life out of it without recharging during the day. That is not a concern at all with the 8a.

Upvote
24 (25 / -1)

chiasticslide

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
Subscriptor++
I just recently got a Pixel 8a to replace my Pixel 6 Pro that died. While the screen is smaller than that to which I had become accustomed, I have been very impressed with the battery life. With the 6 Pro, I had to keep the phone on battery saving mode to get a full day's life out of it without recharging during the day. That is not a concern at all with the 8a.
I upgraded from a 6a to the 8a -- battery life is similar for me, but the big impetus for the update was the new software policy and the ability to have 256GB of storage, which means I can finally keep my entire mp3 collection on my phone locally.

Upvote
19 (19 / 0)
Post content hidden for low score. Show…
The very good surprise w/ my Moto (I'm a Xiaomi exile) is "Smart Connect", which not only lets me use my phone from my PC, but lets me simultaneously run an entirely different app on the PC than on my phone. I think this should be mentionned in reviews and previews.

The expected bad surprise is how much Vanilla Android sucks compared to competent OEM-improved versions: no dual apps, no dual workspaces, no secured apps, no secured folders, no wifi quick toggle; sad notifications, control panel and widgets, ...

Overall I'm happy, no major issue except the expected on a low-end (Edge 20 Lite) phone: dim and glary screen, bad (SLOW !!) camera... but it is reliable, has good performance, and the AMOLED+5G+SD+jack I want&need, for $200.

Upvote
-4 (6 / -10)
Looks like a nice phone. Is it available with something besides Android? Google is a dealbreaker for me. And the alternative would need to have its own fully featured app store (curated in a fashion better than what Google does). FYI - sideloading is not a solution I'd accept.
How many phones for sale in the US come with something other than Android or iOS? It's gotta be less than 1%.

Unless you mean "can be flashed with custom firmware". In which case maybe, eventually? But if you won't accept sideloading I doubt you'd want to be flashing custom ROMs.

Upvote
42 (42 / 0)

EZmacNcheesy

Seniorius Lurkius
Subscriptor
Looks like a nice phone. Is it available with something besides Android? Google is a dealbreaker for me. And the alternative would need to have its own fully featured app store (curated in a fashion better than what Google does). FYI - sideloading is not a solution I'd accept.
@Epimetheus_Secundus I'm actually curious, what phone do you use now? I'm not sure there are any smartphones available for purchase from major American carriers that don't run Android or iOS.

Upvote
18 (18 / 0)

TreeCatKnight

Ars Centurion
Subscriptor++
How many phones for sale in the US come with something other than Android or iOS? It's gotta be less than 1%.

Unless you mean "can be flashed with custom firmware". In which case maybe, eventually? But if you won't accept sideloading I doubt you'd want to be flashing custom ROMs.

He is definitely not arguing in good faith.

His requirements don't, and probably never will, exist.

Upvote
11 (12 / -1)
There are some phones sold with /e/os, but I doubt they'll ever be sold in any kind of brick'n'mortar in the US, let alone by any of the major carriers.

iodé also sell phones with different OS in the EU.

I purchased a Shift6mq from them because Shiftphones do not ship to UK and got it with iodéOS installed on it and bootloader was locked and it still booted up and worked. So at least in the EU it is possible to ship phone with alternative OS with locked bootlaoder.

Edited.

Upvote
2 (2 / 0)

TreeCatKnight

Ars Centurion
Subscriptor++
There are some phones sold with /e/os, but I doubt they'll ever be sold in any kind of brick'n'mortar in the US, let alone by any of the major carriers.
The main killer I'm thinking is the entirely separate app store with no sideloading.

Perhaps there is more information that I do not have here, but I would assume even /e/ or sailfish would do what graphene does; use the Google app store.

Upvote
1 (1 / 0)

Ten Wind

Ars Tribunus Militum
I gave my 11yo my Oneplus 7T to play games with. This phone reminds me of that, but without the cool pop-up FFC.
Redundant and repetitive comment I know, but I'm writing this on a Oneplus 7 pro and I still haven't found a better phone to replace it with.

Why'd they ever stop using popup cameras? I don't want to get a phone with a holepunch.

Upvote
0 (3 / -3)

HiroTheProtagonist

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor++
Redundant and repetitive comment I know, but I'm writing this on a Oneplus 7 pro and I still haven't found a better phone to replace it with.

Why'd they ever stop using popup cameras? I don't want to get a phone with a holepunch.
Probably something to do with reducing moving parts. I'm surprised that more companies haven't tried to copy the Zenfone Flip, since it provides the benefits of no front-facing camera when you don't want it with a higher-quality FF camera when you do, plus less mechanical cruft. Probably some sort of patent in the way.

Upvote
1 (2 / -1)

SeeBeeEss

Smack-Fu Master, in training
I used to have Motorola devices and was a big fan. But the atrocious update policy pushed me away (to Samsung, with 4 years of OS updates).
Same, but I got pushed to Pixels. Motorola is absolutely terrible with updates and that's inexcusable at this point with what both Google and Samsung are offering.
Can't fight the Pixel 8a on software updates. Motorola's update record is barely better than that of a generic Chinese phone manufacturer with a name like JOLUUUWUUUER who only sells on AliExpress.
I switched to Pixel. Motorola was not only embarrassingly deficient with updates and customer support, they also "changed their mind" regarding publicly promised Android version updates for my last Motorola phone (and others). While "changed their mind" is an euphemism for "lied" as far as I am concerned, they apparently have a rider hidden within their terms of sale that says they can "change their mind" regarding updates anytime they damn well please. I would never trust Motorola again (after all, they are merely a sow's ear (Chinese company) dressed up like a silk purse (using a once-respected American brand name to sell their phones instead of JOLUUUWUUUER).

Last edited:
Upvote
8 (8 / 0)

Epimetheus_Secundus

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor++
@Epimetheus_Secundus I'm actually curious, what phone do you use now? I'm not sure there are any smartphones available for purchase from major American carriers that don't run Android or iOS.
I'm running an IPhone 14 Pro currently. It's ok. But I'm interested in having other choices. Just not Google as a choice. And I'm not willing to go hobbyist mode with flashing.

And you're right, I don't think there is another option, But that doesn't stop me from expressing the desire for more choices. idk I guess people are ok with not having more choices, seems like.

Upvote
-7 (4 / -11)
Motorola promised 4years of updates for their XOOM tablet. they gave less than 12months worth and abandoned it literally saying people could sue them if unhappy.

They repeated this with their smartphones, as the original scam was profitable.

And we're supposed to trust them again? This is a $550 phone who's battery will last <18months and the phone will be defunct.

Upvote
8 (8 / 0)

Epimetheus_Secundus

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor++
He is definitely not arguing in good faith.

His requirements don't, and probably never will, exist.
I wouldn't say I'm arguing in bad faith. I'm expressing a desire for things that likely don't exist (not sure, but pretty sure). Whistling in the graveyard?

The correct response is "Yah - good luck with that buddy"

Upvote
-5 (5 / -10)