Middle schoolers lash out at 20 teachers with disturbing fake TikTok accounts

Post content hidden for low score. Show…

Frodo Douchebaggins

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor
For the non-US audience could an age range be provided? 'Eighth grade' doesn't mean anything to me. Yes, I can look it up but it would be nice to not have to. It doesn't have to be in metric units.

625-675 weeks or so

(whoops I had morning brain, disregard initial number)

Upvote
121 (153 / -32)

chanman819

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
Some teachers may not stick around to be harassed if it escalates that far. For a veteran Spanish teacher at the middle school, Patrice Motz, being targeted in the mob attack was "so deflating." She told The Times that after 14 years, she's losing motivation as a teacher.
The Economist's recent special report on the state of schooling in the OECD mentions that teacher morale, retention, and recruiting are issues almost everywhere, mostly varying in severity.

I can't imagine stuff like this helps at all.

Upvote
237 (238 / -1)
D

Deleted member 764661

For the non-US audience could an age range be provided? 'Eighth grade' doesn't mean anything to me. Yes, I can look it up but it would be nice to not have to. It doesn't have to be in metric units.

TFA:
The two girls who were briefly suspended likely only recently gained access to TikTok, as the platform only allows users ages 13 and up.
“I am 13 years old,” the other student said, “and you’re like 40 going on 50.”

Upvote
104 (109 / -5)
Schools and their governing boards will do nothing to protect their employees from these little nightmares. They have been taught nothing about right and wrong or consequences, so naturally most of them have started their inevitable path to prison. I saw the so-called apology from 2 of them. It amounted to nothing more than telling teachers to get over it and that they will be posting new defamatory content, but will be making it private so the schools can't see it (which in their eyes makes it okay, because they can't be caught - proving once again that this generation has absolutely no clue about how technology works). What I don't understand is why Tik Tok won't shut down access to the app for any user that commits this level of misinformation and fraud. They are posting this content from their phones, so it would be extremely easy to identify the users. In the UK they could all be prosecuted, but in the US there is nothing that prevents a child from posting defamatory content online.

Upvote
158 (173 / -15)

Sajuuk

I don't see a viable path toward any kind of money damages. Social media companies are not liable under section 230, and kids cannot be liable . . . because I doubt there is a jury that will award damages for typical underage behavior. I remember all sorts of horrible things that were said about my teachers when I was in K-12. Social media just made that behavior visible to adults.
You consider going out of your way to intentionally impersonate multiple teachers and present them as literal pedophiles to the world as typical underage behavior?

Upvote
374 (379 / -5)
I hope that the reason that the newspaper reporting had an effect is that these parents contacted an attorney and asked how much trouble they could be in. The attorney likely told them that while it probably wouldn't happen, there was a small chance that if a teacher were fired due to false accusations of pedophilia, the resulting defamation suit could make them sell their home and liquidate their retirement funds because of their daughter's stupid mistake.

I really don't think these kids grasp how serious this was, and I'm not sure that law enforcement is either. This wasn't harassment, this was a deliberate attempt to get teachers fired. These little psychopaths-in-training are likely to keep at it.

Upvote
293 (296 / -3)
While it may be easy to react in a way that suggests that students should have been more heavily disciplined in school, some, but not all, of their behavior is protected by the right of free speech and expression," Goffredo wrote.

Free speech and expression doesn't mean no consequences for being an asshole. Start lowering their grades 25% for every post and they'll stop quickly or fail. Even without a formal policy, it's hard to imagine those kids getting good grades after getting caught doing this.

Upvote
94 (111 / -17)

Megalomania

Ars Centurion
Subscriptor
Right? Cause pedophilia accusations are so f**kin' funny!

Civil suits against all the parents. Those can be funny too. Learn to joke!

I'm not usually a fan of throwing the courts at stuff involving kids, but seriously, if you are a parent and your kids are not getting the message that this is absolutely, completely unacceptable, then monetary penalties are the next lever to get you to get off your worthless ass and actually parent.

Extremely familiar with the area, surprised this happened at a public school first. Figured it'd be one of the prep schools nearby, where all my classmates could charitably be described as future Brett Kavanaughs.

Prep schools don't have their hands tied in the same way as public schools when it comes to punishment, and the parents who pay for prep schools are not going to sleep on their kids doing this.

Upvote
214 (217 / -3)
These sorts of challenges have happened several times in the history of US public school. The schools are extremely limited in what they can do because, appropriately, the law favors protecting children. However, these free speech statutes do get questioned and investigated more heavily after incidents like this and often at least produce clearer guidance and in some cases help clarify the limits of protected behavior vs consequences. I can think of two such cases and can remember the names of none... one had to do with protesting war I believe with their clothing choices, which were perceived as disruptive (if that helps anyone find it).

If these were kids protesting the slaughter in Gaza, or some-such, I could see the comparison, but we're talking about a bunch of entitled psychopaths. If they can cause that much pain and suffering without remorse (for the pain caused), how else can they be described?

Without TikTok policing this content, or local, state, or fed govt intervention, this will not be the last time. Nor will it be the worst.

There needs to be punishment. We used to be able to rely on public shaming. Now it's a badge of honor to be a total dick-wad.

Upvote
175 (185 / -10)

ajm8127

Smack-Fu Master, in training
Expel the trash kids and blacklist them from any public schools. Maybe their parents could learn to do some parenting at this point.
In Pennsylvania I don't think you can send your kids to a public school outside of the district where the parents or guardians live.

The parents would likely need to fork over money for private school or move. Or perhaps another school in the district would be acceptable depending on the scope of the expulsion.

[EDIT]

Some facts on expulsion in PA:

https://www.elc-pa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/expulsions-in-pa.pdf
https://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Display/pacode?file=/secure/pacode/data/022/chapter12/s12.6.html

The school board must vote to expel, so another school in the district would not be an option. However schools need to have officially adopted rules, in writing stating an offense could lead to expulsion.

Last edited:
Upvote
51 (53 / -2)

Meadian

Smack-Fu Master, in training
I don't see a viable path toward any kind of money damages. Social media companies are not liable under section 230, and kids cannot be liable . . . because I doubt there is a jury that will award damages for typical underage behavior. I remember all sorts of horrible things that were said about my teachers when I was in K-12. Social media just made that behavior visible to adults.
There's a viable path, depending on how aggressive the teachers want to be (weighed against the reputational harm of being perceived as a litigious teacher). Teachers could sue the children's parents for defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress due to the highly charged and public nature of the accusations, and a failure of the children's parents to stop them, with damages paid out by parents' insurance.

Presumably the difference between this and when you were in K-12 is the size of the megaphone, which is relevant to the potential harm, especially if they could later demonstrate the insinuations were scooped up by data brokers or profiling algorithms to mark these instructors as ineligible for new teaching jobs (if/when they go hunting for one).

Upvote
121 (123 / -2)

Sajuuk

On what grounds? As far as I can tell, the only thing the children are (legally) at fault for doing is violating the terms of service of Tik Tok.

Before anyone starts to mentioned "libel," let me remind you of the lead up to Hustler Magazine v. Falwell in which Hustler was found not guilty of libel because there was no dispute that the offensive ad in question was an actual representation of facts about Rev. Falwell. In other words, if something is so over-the-top that it's not possible to believe, it cannot be libel.
If I'm not mistaken a plethora of teachers have actually been caught for abuse based on social media postings. This is hardly "so over-the-top that it's not possible to believe".

Edit to address Wickwick's edits: none of this is commentary. Intentionally impersonating someone else without any disclaimer or pretense of satire is not commentary.

Last edited:
Upvote
180 (181 / -1)