Google Search adds “web” filter as it pivots to AI-focused search results

unequivocal

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor++
I switched from Google to Brave search and it's much better. It's closer to Google circa 2008.. Definitely worth a try now that Google search is circling the drain.

Edit - I still use Google search for certain searches if brave can't find it - but it's maybe 2% of the time.. And if you search for recipes, it's life changing - you get links to sites with recipes not ad infested life stories and auto play videos that are universally top results on Google.. Google is late stage enshitification - I'm kind of impressed they delayed their failures for so long but once the founders left it was inevitable.

Upvote
108 (130 / -22)

Jeff S

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor++
So, I think most browsers have a way to set a "custom" search engine to use, and I wonder if you could set your custom search engine to go straight to the Google web results url and skip the AI?

This feels a lot like Google trying to make everyone 'use' the AI by forcing them to go to the AI page first and click Web, so that they can then tell the press and investors, "We're the most popular AI on the planet - people love it, we've gotten 500Million AI searches this quarter!"

Upvote
155 (157 / -2)

Honeybog

Ars Scholae Palatinae
And with this, I think I'm finally and fully done with Google. Maybe they can create some AI users to browse their shitty AI summaries of their shitty SEO-gamed index so they can sell their shitty ad service to shitty companies selling a shit-eating ouroboros of make-believe impressions and shitty fairy dust.

For some popular queries, it seems like Google is caching the AI answer, which should help with the high cost of running generative AI.

I'm guessing they're playing fast and loose with query matching, which would explain why the generated responses have fuck all to do with what I was actually searching for (e.g., dropping every term but the noun and provided a Wikipedia-esque first paragraph summary, but, you know, without any peer reviewed verification).

Upvote
204 (207 / -3)

onychomys

Ars Praetorian
Subscriptor++
I've been using Ecosia for a while now. It's a wrapper on Bing, but they promise that the money they make from the ads they show you will go to planting trees in the parts of the global south that see really high deforestation rates. No way to verify that's true, but it makes me feel nice. And the results are fine, I'm always able to find what I'm looking for.

Upvote
53 (64 / -11)

Jeff S

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor++
I've been using Ecosia for a while now. It's a wrapper on Bing, but they promise that the money they make from the ads they show you will go to planting trees in the parts of the global south that see really high deforestation rates. No way to verify that's true, but it makes me feel nice. And the results are fine, I'm always able to find what I'm looking for.
I don't see how planting trees in areas where the landowners/governments are clearing the land, helps? The problem isn't a lack of tree planting, the problem is an excess of tree removing. . .

Upvote
116 (128 / -12)
another victim of its own making, the 'evil', once so feared, has become the victor.

this is the result of desperate coders now consumed by the need to 'chase the money' and ignore the altruism of the core principles the two smart guys who claimed their fame during those university years.

such tragedy, such a fall from grace, and the benefits of it now get swallowed up by the AI monster.

we must look ahead, outwit the AI monster, pay forward with more than simple, easy access to privileged pages of shared knowledge.

it's now all 'up for sale', like a bustling bazaar in a criminals lair, to the streams of children with nowhere else to turn.

be strong, citizens of the web, take back your freedoms from these omnipotent scoundrels of marketing...

Upvote
30 (43 / -13)

dansarsusername

Smack-Fu Master, in training
Subscriptor
Ugh while I can avoid this trash by just using a different search engine, that doesn't fix the problem that most of the traffic to my website still comes from google. Now google's AI is just going to steal the information from my site and present it as its own. Wonderful.

The internet as a vast resource has been dying for a long time, but this is the kind of thing that'll kill the last few of us still hosting independent websites that provide original information.

Upvote
202 (205 / -3)

Mostly Ignorant

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
another victim of its own making, the 'evil', once so feared, has become the victor.

this is the result of desperate coders now consumed by the need to 'chase the money' and ignore the altruism of the core principles the two smart guys who claimed their fame during those university years.

such tragedy, such a fall from grace, and the benefits of it now get swallowed up by the AI monster.

we must look ahead, outwit the AI monster, pay forward with more than simple, easy access to privileged pages of shared knowledge.

it's now all 'up for sale', like a bustling bazaar in a criminals lair, to the streams of children with nowhere else to turn.

be strong, citizens of the web, take back your freedoms from these omnipotent scoundrels of marketing...
Google was always evil, they just conned rubes (for a time) into thinking they weren't.

Upvote
29 (56 / -27)

Rainywolf

Ars Tribunus Militum
I am so glad I switched to DuckDuckGo long enough ago to adjust to its quirks.

Google used to be my fallback, but these days the results are just trash.
Yeah I've been going around work and changing the defaults on our workstations to duckduckgo. Unfortunately Duck has been dabbling in AI too. They have a chatbot and a "search assistant" feature too. It's just not jammed in your face as an unskippable default.

Last edited:
Upvote
50 (52 / -2)

lolnova

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Nobody wants this except rich scammers wanting to get richer at everyone else's expense.

Startpage dot com recently started ignoring query operators +"like this," so there is now no major English-language search engine I'm aware of that doesn't suck ass. (DuckDuckGo has had shit relevance ever since it was launched, @).

Sociopathic MBAs of the kind Bill Hicks used to publicly profess his love to have ruined every major English search engine in existence. And we let these people control vast swathes of our society. It's fucking wild.

Upvote
-1 (29 / -30)
I don't see how planting trees in areas where the landowners/governments are clearing the land, helps? The problem isn't a lack of tree planting, the problem is an excess of tree removing. . .
Well, once Weyerhaeuser goes in and clear cuts all the trees in an area, then they can pay Weyerhaeuser to come in and replant all the trees on their land. /s

Upvote
36 (38 / -2)
And with this, I think I'm finally and fully done with Google. Maybe they can create some AI users to browse their shitty AI summaries of their shitty SEO-gamed index so they can sell their shitty ad service to shitty companies selling a shit-eating ouroboros of make-believe impressions and shitty fairy dust.

I'm guessing they're playing fast and loose with query matching, which would explain why the generated responses have fuck all to do with what I was actually searching for (e.g., dropping every term but the noun and provided a Wikipedia-esque first paragraph summary, but, you know, without any peer reviewed verification).
withe the AI 'advantage', your query could now be collated with every trace of your known (and hidden) historical activity associated with you.

every nuance of behavior could be factored into the response you get, even things you have long forgotten.

there is no escape, users are being 'mined' for every last shred of possible profit opportunity. we may have 'freedoms' but whats now here is a predatory munge of heartless money grubbers.

Upvote
39 (41 / -2)

fargofallout

Wise, Aged Ars Veteran
Subscriptor
I don't use ChatGPT and such very often, but I was under the impression they're very costly to update, so they don't update them often, and as such they don't stay current. Am I wrong about that? I assume I must be wrong, because otherwise this would be silly to use as your main form of search - there'd be a hard cutoff for what questions can be answered. If some movie was just given a release date today, the bot wouldn't know that, right?

Upvote
53 (53 / 0)

fridgeowl

Seniorius Lurkius
Subscriptor
If you haven't tried the free version of Kagi yet it is definitely worth a look. Personally I'm happy to pay a monthly fee for a good search engine rather than waste my time. The short version is that they provide a search service that is their own mix and weighting from other services and generally strips out a lot of garbage. Then you also have the ability to focus searches (they call them lenses) on certain sources based on the type of search, ability to uprank or downrank sources, etc.

Upvote
68 (71 / -3)