More things

Conito@55

Jun 1, 2024
Detector(s) used
The Legend
This is part of what I had in my junk box.
20240716_201013.jpg
20240716_195357.jpg
20240716_193411.jpg
20240716_193927.jpg
20240716_193945.jpg
20240716_194759.jpg
20240716_193236.jpg
PCIMG_2024-07-16_20-19-49.JPG
PCIMG_2024-07-16_20-19-12.JPG
PCIMG_2024-07-16_20-18-23.JPG
PCIMG_2024-07-16_20-17-57.JPG
PCIMG_2024-07-16_20-17-09.JPG
PCIMG_2024-07-16_20-16-41.JPG
PCIMG_2024-07-16_20-16-04.JPG
PCIMG_2024-07-16_20-15-26.JPG
PCIMG_2024-07-16_17-51-52.JPG
PCIMG_2024-07-16_17-42-55.JPG
PCIMG_2024-07-16_17-39-19.JPG
PCIMG_2023-12-20_19-24-53.JPG

Upvote 14
Thatā€™s an interesting assortment of old items. You havenā€™t told us anything about them, so I will assume (perhaps wrongly) that youā€™re looking for information. The ones I immediately recognise are:

ā€˜Silverā€™ Items with anchor/star/eagle/lion pseudo-hallmarks
Those are all bands/ferrules from tobacco pipes. The top two items with the anchor, star and stylised eagle marks, one of them also with the initials CPF, are probably both from pipes produced by the Colossus Pipe Factory of New York (1896-1920). Their bands are usually nickel-plated brass and were probably made for Colossus (and some other pipemakers too) by someone else. The actual maker is not known.
The bottom item is sterling silver, as it says, and the first of the three marks before the lion passant and the star is obscured, but should be an anchor. The meaning of the ā€˜XRAā€™ mark is not known but appears on several pipe bands, with the maker of the pipes and the maker of the bands unidentified. Hereā€™s the same mark on the band for a briar pipe which might be from the Manhattan Briar Company.
XRA.jpg

Pocket Watch Case with star pennant trademark
Already identified on one of your other posts as from the Dueber Watch Case Company, between 1905 ā€“ 1923.

R.S. Merrillā€™s Patent, June 14, 1859
Thatā€™s a part from a coal-oil lamp.
Merrill.jpg

To all whom it may concern.
Be it known that I, RUFUS S. MERRILL, of Lynn, in the county of Essex, in the State of Massachusetts, have invented a new and useful Improvement in Burners for Coal-Oil: and I do hereby declare that the following, taken in connection with the drawings which accompany and form part of this specification, is a description thereof so full and exact as to enable those skilled in the art to practice my invention.
Figure 1 is a sectional elevation, and Fig. 2 a plan illustrating my invention. Fig. 3 is a perspective view of the part I add to burners now in common use which increases their efficiency and in which my invention is embodied.
The nature of my invention consists, first, in the means I employ, or the equivalents thereof, by which the vapors arising from the fluid burners in the lamp are mingled with atmospheric air and the mixture directed so as to impinge upon the flame, being heated in its passage thereunto by conduction from the metallic Walls of the directing passage; Second in the means described for securing the director to the wick tube.

Thomsons Patent
I believe this is one half of a fastener from one of Thomsonā€™s patent ā€˜Glove-Fittingā€™ corsets from the late 19th Century:
Thomson1.jpg
Thomson2.jpg

Thatā€™s an interesting assortment of old items. You havenā€™t told us anything about them, so I will assume (perhaps wrongly) that youā€™re looking for information. The ones I immediately recognise are:

ā€˜Silverā€™ Items with anchor/star/eagle/lion pseudo-hallmarks
Those are all bands/ferrules from tobacco pipes. The top two items with the anchor, star and stylised eagle marks, one of them also with the initials CPF, are probably both from pipes produced by the Colossus Pipe Factory of New York (1896-1920). Their bands are usually nickel-plated brass and were probably made for Colossus (and some other pipemakers too) by someone else. The actual maker is not known.
The bottom item is sterling silver, as it says, and the first of the three marks before the lion passant and the star is obscured, but should be an anchor. The meaning of the ā€˜XRAā€™ mark is not known but appears on several pipe bands, with the maker of the pipes and the maker of the bands unidentified. Hereā€™s the same mark on the band for a briar pipe which might be from the Manhattan Briar Company.
View attachment 2159439

Pocket Watch Case with star pennant trademark
Already identified on one of your other posts as from the Dueber Watch Case Company, between 1905 ā€“ 1923.

R.S. Merrillā€™s Patent, June 14, 1859
Thatā€™s a part from a coal-oil lamp.
View attachment 2159440
To all whom it may concern.
Be it known that I, RUFUS S. MERRILL, of Lynn, in the county of Essex, in the State of Massachusetts, have invented a new and useful Improvement in Burners for Coal-Oil: and I do hereby declare that the following, taken in connection with the drawings which accompany and form part of this specification, is a description thereof so full and exact as to enable those skilled in the art to practice my invention.
Figure 1 is a sectional elevation, and Fig. 2 a plan illustrating my invention. Fig. 3 is a perspective view of the part I add to burners now in common use which increases their efficiency and in which my invention is embodied.
The nature of my invention consists, first, in the means I employ, or the equivalents thereof, by which the vapors arising from the fluid burners in the lamp are mingled with atmospheric air and the mixture directed so as to impinge upon the flame, being heated in its passage thereunto by conduction from the metallic Walls of the directing passage; Second in the means described for securing the director to the wick tube.

Thomsons Patent
I believe this is one half of a fastener from one of Thomsonā€™s patent ā€˜Glove-Fittingā€™ corsets from the late 19th Century:
View attachment 2159441View attachment 2159442
Thanks for the information, it's good to know a little about the history of these things

I think the value of this "junk" just went up with the new information about it! Good thing you kept it. I find interesting things that I have overlooked in my storage, too. Good stuff to go over again on a cold, winter day when I can't be detecting.

I think the value of this "junk" just went up with the new information about it! Good thing you kept it. I find interesting things that I have overlooked in my storage, too. Good stuff to go over again on a cold, winter day when I can't be detecting.
Yes, I do. but I no longer have space on my display, and many returned to the box again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back