🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any help on a Dome/mushroom shaped button(?) with blue remnants on it.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any help on a Dome/mushroom shaped button(?) with blue on it would be appreciated. I'm hoping between the color, the odd dome top, and odd back there might be some people in the know.

Found on a local estuary riverbank of Florida. Artifacts ca. 1600/1700 to 1900's have been found in the past.
(A War of 1812 Infantry button for one. Link to thread https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...d-on-the-riverbank.688468/page-2#post-7121347)
Diameter is 15 mm & weight is fairly light @ 18 grains (1.7 grams)
The dome side raises up about 2mm and the cone back (stud?) is 5 mm long. (There may have been a hole in the end of the cone on the back.)

I found this button last weekend and there are hints of raised areas on it. I'm not 100% sure its a button since the back looks odd. No loop, but an extended cone shape, but the loop/hole may have corroded away.
I believe it is cast with possibly two types of metal and maybe a pewter exterior? I see some white residue in places around the rim on the interior where pitting has created holes and the underlying material is white from decay.

Both sides have a blue residue on them. There is a darker blue under coat (base coat?) and a lighter blue top coat.

I can almost make out some raised elements of the domed front. I don't want to ruin it, so I've held off soaking in hydrogen peroxide for the time being.

Thanks for any insight you can give. BlueButton-Back-2.JPGBlueButton-Front-2.JPGBlueButton-Paint-Front-4BothBlue.JPGBlueButton-Paint-Back-1DarkBlue.JPGBlueButton-Profile-3-ConeVNice.JPGBlueButton-Front-6Arrows.JPG

Last edited:
All I can say, is not a button. Might be a homemade plug of some sort!
Thank you. Thats the kind of information I was hoping to get.
Maybe some type of off metal "rivet" type plug.

Thanks again.
ps. I guess what was throwing me off was the paint on both sides (I've never seen paint on a button though) and the tapered back looked to have remnants of the inside of a loop.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back