Re: CSS implementation status reports (and a first one from Mozilla)

On Mar 19, 2009, at 7:23 AM, L. David Baron wrote:

> css3-background
> �
>  border-image (with prefix)
>  �

This property, along with several others, appears to have its model
layer work implemented in the current / latest Firefox beta, but the
view layer (e.g. rendering engine) doesn't do anything at all for them.

Is this going to be synced up to be more reliable? Either in a next
beta release or do we have to wait until the final release?

My concern is that exposing the API, if you will, to things that don't
*actually* work yet is making feature-detection nigh on impossible.
I'd much rather have the implementation there and the API not exposed
yet, than the other way around�which is what I'm currently
encountering in Firefox 3.1b3.

In contrast, Webkit currently supports a few things completely but the
API to feature-detect them is incomplete. I much prefer this as it
makes feature detection more robust and reliable, as opposed to risky,
fragile and unreliable.

Any elaboration on this is much welcomed :)

Thanks,
Faruk