Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 7,159

Re: Gary Trent Jr. signs with the Bucks - one year 

Post#201 » by Badgerlander » Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:33 pm

Hoopz Afrik wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:Good deal, hope he finds his inner KCP here

I was talking with one of my buddies earlier and made this same parallel. I think he will to you all what KCP was to the Lakers after he left Detroit.

Huge signing for the Bucks and I think this puts your squad firmly as #2 in the East over New York and Philly.

Yeah I remember watching him in the playoffs his last year in Portland and thinking he was going to be a really good 3&D wing. He was really getting after it on defense, so I was surprised that he got the poor defender label in Toronto. I don’t think he is athletic enough to be a poa stopper that we really need next to Dame but if he can get back to being a guy that gets a body on guys on the perimeter I do think he is switchable on the perimeter. Hope springs eternal
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,985

Post#202 » by Brewhoopfan » Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:36 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
Daver wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:
I love Delon Wright, so that's cool

Like him to but from what people have said hes not a starting 2 guard he couldnt start on his last team why would he be a starter on a team with chip aspirations

The only argument for Trent to start over Wright is if Trent can benefit from the stars playing him open and Delon is needed to keep the 2nd unit rolling.

Not only is Wright a better defender, but he's also a more efficient offensive player than Trent.

Trent has a -3 career net rating, while Wright is +8. That's an 11-point swing in the starting lineup. I don't know how you look at that and clearly say Wright shouldn't be considered for the starting 2 role.

Hell, the guy was +15 for the 12th-place Wizards in 22-23.

The 'Beasley guards the opposing team's best player' always had an Emperor's New Clothes vibe to it. He's never had the physical tools for that role. I don't think GTJ is the defender the Bucks need, but he at least has the tools. More importantly, the threat of a very capable defender (Wright) ready to take away his closing minutes will motivate him not only to play well, but to play the role the Bucks need him to play. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if an improved AJ Green pushes for minutes also. I see a lot of upside to this signing, and unlike last year, the Bucks also have a plan B on the roster.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,289

Post#203 » by GBPackers47 » Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:42 pm

Hoopz Afrik wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:Good deal, hope he finds his inner KCP here

I was talking with one of my buddies earlier and made this same parallel. I think he will to you all what KCP was to the Lakers after he left Detroit.

Huge signing for the Bucks and I think this puts your squad firmly as #2 in the East over New York and Philly.

I keep seeing this comparison and I don't get it other than a guy trying to prove himself in a good situation.

KCP was a better player leaving Detroit than Trent is leaving Toronto. He was similar in offensive efficiency with lower usage, all while playing better defense. He was (and is) a better player.

With that being said, Trent's usage should be drastically lower for the first time in his career this year. That should theoretically lead to more efficiency on offense. We saw the same thing happen with Beasley's offense last year.

Will that lead to more actual Wins? It's hard to say because, like Beasley last year, other areas of his game can negatively overshadow that efficiency.
GBPackers47
Starter

Post#204 » by GBPackers47 » Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:52 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:
Daver wrote:

Like him to but from what people have said hes not a starting 2 guard he couldnt start on his last team why would he be a starter on a team with chip aspirations

The only argument for Trent to start over Wright is if Trent can benefit from the stars playing him open and Delon is needed to keep the 2nd unit rolling.

Not only is Wright a better defender, but he's also a more efficient offensive player than Trent.

Trent has a -3 career net rating, while Wright is +8. That's an 11-point swing in the starting lineup. I don't know how you look at that and clearly say Wright shouldn't be considered for the starting 2 role.

Hell, the guy was +15 for the 12th-place Wizards in 22-23.

The 'Beasley guards the opposing team's best player' always had an Emperor's New Clothes vibe to it. He's never had the physical tools for that role. I don't think GTJ is the defender the Bucks need, but he at least has the tools. More importantly, the threat of a very capable defender (Wright) ready to take away his closing minutes will motivate him not only to play well, but to play the role the Bucks need him to play. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if an improved AJ Green pushes for minutes also. I see a lot of upside to this signing, and unlike last year, the Bucks also have a plan B on the roster.

This makes sense, and I appreciate the logical assessment.

And don't get me wrong, I will forever take Gary Trent on the minimum over Beasley on the minimum. He is a better player and, as you said, the sum of all parts + Trent is far better this year than the sum of all parts + Beasley. There is upside to that no doubt.

But when the season is over, Delon Wright will be the reason this team finished 3rd instead of 4th or 2nd instead of 3rd. No because of Gary Trent.
MiltownMadness
Veteran
And1: 1,325

Post#205 » by MiltownMadness » Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:58 pm

There is logic behind putting a volume shooter with our big 3, we saw great success doing that with Beasley. GTJ is more of that archetype than Wright. And options usually arent a bad thing as has been said
higharc
Junior
And1: 252

Post#206 » by higharc » Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:59 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:The only argument for Trent to start over Wright is if Trent can benefit from the stars playing him open and Delon is needed to keep the 2nd unit rolling.

Both seem true to me.
Also, Delon will probably be his sub at some point in the 1stQ as Dame wants to play the full 12min to get into rhythm.

So, GTJ can give maximum effort for the first minutes (I guess he can for such limited time) and Wright can continue the pressure for the rest of the quarter. Then Delon gets to coordinate the second unit with Trent returning and scoring against lesser opposition with some youngsters sprinkled here and there.

Should work fine.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,970

Post#207 » by Ayt » Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:00 pm

This is an exceptional vet min signing. It is smart on the part of Trent since there is such an obvious need for a title contending team like the Bucks, but Horst deserves credit for making it happen regardless. I honestly thought there was no chance he'd sign for the min with the Bucks.

Shaffty wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:I don't think he's quite as good as some are thinking but we have such a hole at SG and zero avenues to add anyone better that this is a home run. He just needs to man up and play high effort defense. I think he's capable of it in theory.

hes better then malik beasley at every aspect of the game but shooting.

His career 3P% is greater than Beasley's on only slightly less volume.
GBPackers47
Starter

Post#208 » by GBPackers47 » Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:02 pm

higharc wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:The only argument for Trent to start over Wright is if Trent can benefit from the stars playing him open and Delon is needed to keep the 2nd unit rolling.

Both seem true to me.
Also, Delon will probably be his sub at some point in the 1stQ as Dame wants to play the full 12min to get into rhythm.

So, GTJ can give maximum effort for the first minutes (I guess he can for such limited time) and Wright can continue the pressure for the rest of the quarter. Then Delon gets to coordinate the second unit with Trent returning and scoring against lesser opposition with some youngsters sprinkled here and there.

Should work fine.

I'm with you on this assessment. We saw the same thing with Beasley's numbers last vs his entire career.

My comment was more in response to the original comment that "Wright couldn't start on his team last year so why should he start on a team with chip aspirations."

People are drastically underplaying Delon Wright.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,523

Post#209 » by neiLz » Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:10 pm

bucks actually got a little younger with this signing. nice :-)
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 2,074

Post#210 » by fansinceforever » Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:54 pm

I'd bet that GTJ has a starting spot guarantee here
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,261

Post#211 » by Daver » Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:02 pm

fansinceforever wrote:I'd bet that GTJ has a starting spot guarantee here

Absolutely no doubt dont think ge signs for only 2 million without hsving a starting gig lined up
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 7,159

Post#212 » by Badgerlander » Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:35 pm

Dame really needed an offcourt buddy last year, hope Trent can fill that void
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Daver
Lead Assistant

Post#213 » by Daver » Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:22 pm

Badgerlander wrote:Dame really needed an offcourt buddy last year, hope Trent can fill that void

Looks like dame is in a very good place right now absolute nailing it in his workouts hes extremely motivated this year.Think that divorce is behind him and your right having a friend here has to help
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 2,148

Post#214 » by Dick Tate » Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:29 pm

fansinceforever wrote:The reality is he probably can't play that much better offensively than Beasley did last season. Hopefully, he's a lot better in the playoffs.

Can this guy lock in and amp up his perimeter defense? because we're going to be asking him to take opposing teams best perimeter guy every night. He needs to be up to take on that challenge.

Considering the contract he just got as well as the 1-yr, $6M deal Beasley just signed, he at least knows what he needs to do to see a big payday.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 2,148

Post#215 » by Dick Tate » Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:46 pm

Daver wrote:

Absolutely no doubt dont think ge signs for only 2 million without hsving a starting gig lined up

Nah. He'll probably start but no guarantee. What were his other options? A **** multi-yr deal for a team that already has their starter set?

The Bucks were the only team with an open starting spot that he could compete for. He only needed to sacrifice $2.6M for one year to get a bigger deal next year. It seems foolish to believe if someone out-performs him in camp that they wouldn't get the spot. GTJ's ideal role with Bucks is eventually being a 6th-7th man shooter.
Daver
Lead Assistant

Post#216 » by Daver » Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:40 pm

Dick Tate wrote:
Daver wrote:

Nah. He'll probably start but no guarantee. What were his other options? A **** multi-yr deal for a team that already has their starter set?

The Bucks were the only team with an open starting spot that he could compete for. He only needed to sacrifice $2.6M for one year to get a bigger deal next year. It seems foolish to believe if someone out-performs him in camp that they wouldn't get the spot. GTJ's ideal role with Bucks is eventually being a 6th-7th man shooter.

And who in that shi.show bunch of 2s we have will replace him.
crowhead76
Rookie
And1: 899

Post#217 » by crowhead76 » Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:46 pm

Dealing with people who exhibit the "smartest person in the room" syndrome can be a challenge. One approach is to listen their opinion while also encouraging open-mindedness. It's important to create an environment where all voices are valued.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,953

Post#218 » by emunney » Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:49 pm

If it doesn't work out, we can always trade him for Shawn Respert, Jr.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,212

Post#219 » by Shaffty » Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:07 pm

Badgerlander wrote:Dame really needed an offcourt buddy last year, hope Trent can fill that void

The Bucks main guys are all like uber family men too, it must have been very depressing to be in the middle of a custody battle over his kids and not seeing them and then you walk into the locker room and giannis and khris' kids are buzzing around the place
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,708

Post#220 » by -Jragon- » Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:14 pm

crowhead76 wrote:

Geez... he has some hustle and grit to him. If he still can play like that it changes our team.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks